Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Mentors

Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.
Titus 2:3-5 NASB

My church has a women’s mentoring ministry and I have always wanted to be mentored but could never figure out WHEN I could squeeze time in to meet with someone to be mentored. Today, while reading “Becoming a Woman Who Pleases God” by Pat Ennis and Lisa Tatlock, I ran across these points about biblical mentoring:

Mentoring involves give and take, sharing and tackling goals together. It is a ministry of presence, empowering women with love and insight that is more caught than taught. Biblical mentoring is about character formation. It is helping a sister focus and make choices rather than its being a counseling session.

The Mentor Alphabet
A mentor….

Accepts you as you are.
Believes in “you.”
Calls you just to say, “Hi.”
Doesn’t give up on you.
Envisions the whole of you (even the unfinished parts).
Forgives your mistakes.
Gives unconditionally.
Helps you.
Invites you over.
Just to “be” with you.
Keeps you close at heart.
Loves you for who you are.
Makes a difference in your life.
Never judges.
Offers support.
Picks you up.
Quiets your fears.
Raises your spirits.
Says nice things about you.
Tells you the truth when you need to hear it.
Understands you.
Values you.
Walks beside you.
X-plains things you don’t understand.
Yields her right to be in control and
Zaps you back to reality.

EUREKA! I already have several mentors! Even though I don’t have a “formal” mentoring relationship with anyone, I already have many women who have “informally” mentored me in some way. Some of them are older women and some are my own age, but they have all taught me something and I have benefited from their experience in some area. For example:

  • Martha has taught me to appreciate and honor senior saints and those who may be sick or otherwise unable to attend regular worship. She has shown by example what it means to honor your parents in their later years of life. She has taught me to focus on opportunities to encourage younger women to godliness and to seize every opportunity to preach
    the gospel. She has taught me countless things about cooking and entertaining and has even taught my oldest daughter by allowing her to serve alongside her in wedding receptions and other special events.
  • Stephanie taught (or should I say is teaching?) me to find the blessings in every situation. Whenever I complain to her about something, she is always able to turn it around and find the silver lining. She also gives me very practical and straightforward advice about parenting, home schooling, housekeeping, and marriage.
  • Annmarie has taught me there is no excuse to not be hospitable. She has also shown by example how to be patient and content in difficult times and has given me much practical advice and help in the area of teaching my children.
  • Nancy enabled me to serve in the worship ministry by picking up my children from their classes and sitting with them in the service for many years. I have watched her transition from home school mom to an “empty nester” and have learned much by her experiences. She has also given me practical advice and resources for dealing with differing learning
    styles in my children.
  • Kim has taught me to write down what I’m learning to solidify it in my mind. I am also continually learning much from her about how to transition into the teenage years with my daughters.
  • Shannon taught me to use God’s Word as the final authority on everything.
  • Becky taught me to PRAY about everything.
  • The women in the Ladies Ensemble have taught me to get the log out of my own eye first.
I know I’m leaving countless people off of this list, but I do want to thank these women for their continued contributions to my life. I am so blessed by you and I love you all!

3 comments:

Half A Dozen BOOTH's said...

I simultaneously feel completely honored and undeserving! I am in awe of how you live your life and I am learning from YOU all the time. So glad to call you FRIEND.
Cove you, Steph

boo4baby said...

Girlfriend, I didn't even know you had a blog! I am so glad you sent me the email! Thanks for your kind words. I miss having a closer friendship with you, but I will be able to stay in touch with your soul a little through the blogs. Come see me, too! Love ya!

Summer said...

glad you told me about your blog last night, can't wait to read up on what is going on in your life!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...