Wednesday, April 23, 2008

They Will Know We Are Christians by Our Love

Has someone crossed your path recently that might have needed your help? Were you paying attention closely enough to have noticed?

I just finished reading the Lamplighter book "That Printer of Udell's" by Harold Bell Wright. In it, the main character comes to town down on his luck, with no family, no money, no food, and no job. He is not begging but wants to find work to provide for his needs. The reception (or lack thereof) he gets from the church is heart-breaking. We (the church) are supposed to be God's hands and feet. We are supposed to show a watching world His love. Unfortunately, many of the church members in this book are more concerned with their social standing than with helping those less fortunate. Jesus's words in Matthew 25:40 echo through every page:
'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

This is a book that Ronald Reagan named as one having a large impact on his life. I can see why. I found it to be very convicting in its vivid portrayal of what the author calls practical Christianity. I was reminded of the song "They Will Know We are Christians by Our Love" which is based off of John 13:35. I will leave you with this video of that song which has some powerful pictures and statistics interwoven.

[One word of caution about this book. I would not recommend it for young readers. There are some "mature themes" in the book that I think make it more suitable for teenagers or adults. If you want more information on that, e-mail me and I'll give you some examples.]



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...