Monday, May 05, 2008

The Blessed Influence of Loving Speech

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

I ran across this great reminder today in "The Home Beautiful" by J.R. Miller.

Few things are more important in a home than its conversation, and yet there are few things to which less thought is given. The power to communicate which lies in the tongue is simply incalculable. It can impart knowledge, utter words that will shine like lamps in darkened hearts, speak kindly sentences that will comfort sorrow or cheer despondency, breathe out thoughts that will arouse and quicken heedless souls. The good we could do in our homes with our tongues if we would use them to the utmost limit of their capacity is simply impossible to compute.

Doesn't that sound great? Who wouldn't want that in their homes (and, for that matter, everywhere in their lives)? He goes on to talk about the flip side of our speech and how our angry, harsh words can have the opposite effect in our homes:

It is a fatal mistake to suppose that children's lives can grow up into beauty in an atmosphere of strife. Harsh, angry words are to their sensitive souls what frosts are to the flowers. To bring them up in the nurture of the Lord is to bring them up as Christ Himself would, and surely that would be with gentleness. The blessed influence of loving speech, day by day and month after month, it is impossible to estimate. It is like the falling of warm spring sunshine and rain on the garden, causing lovely flowers to spring up in every nook and corner, and filling all the air with sweet fragrance. Only beauty and gentleness of character can come from such a home.

Lord, since the words of my mouth are but a reflection of what is in my heart, please help me to focus on You continually so that my words will be like warm sunshine and not like frost to those with whom I come in contact, especially my family.

If you want to read more about how our everyday words can affect those around us, I recommend a book I read earlier this year called "Everyday Talk" by John Younts.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Oh how convicting...I join you in that prayer, for sure. It's one of the reasons I'm wanting to do the ladies' Bible Study in June. I know I'm going to be convicted like crazy about kindness...I am *so* unkind! :(

Jennifer said...

Funny... that's the reason I DON'T want to do that study! (Ha ha!) I'm already so convicted about it and God just keeps showing me more and more of it every day, it seems. And since I'm home now I can see more clearly how my unkind words affect the girls. Ugh!

R. D. Bailey said...

millers book is a classic. every believing home should have it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...