Saturday, May 24, 2008

Love Without a Safety Net

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

I ran across this great C.S. Lewis quote on love in the preface of a book I recently read ("Nobody Loves Me" by O.F. Walton). Then a portion of the same quote appeared in the preface of another book I'm reading ("Passion and Purity" by Elisabeth Elliott). I guess God thought I needed a double dose? :)

To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries, avoid all entanglements, lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of selfishness. But in that casket -- safe, dark, motionless, airless -- it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is dam*nation. The ony place outside of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is H*ell.


God, thank You for loving me perfectly and unconditionally. Please help me to love others whole-heartedly as You would have me love them.

1 comment:

Annmarie said...

I agree with this, but the heart breaks are sooo hard sometimes. I am clinging to a Psalm right now that says, "For if He causes grief, then He will have compassion."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...