Thursday, June 05, 2008

Loving Sinners

This is Elisabeth Elliot's paraphrase of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a from her book, "Passion and Purity". Since this is my passage of Scripture I'm meditating on this year, it caught my eye and I thought it was really good food for thought. I am including a few introductory sentences to give context.

Love interprets things in favor of the one loved. ... The trouble, of course, is that we must learn to love people. People are sinners. Love must be patient when it is tempted (by the delays of other people) to be impatient. Love must not be selfish, even if other people are. Love does not take offence, though people are offensive sometimes. There are wrongs, but love won't keep score. There are things to be faced, but nothing love can't face, things to try love's faith, discourage its hope, and call for its endurance; but it keeps right on trusting, hoping, and enduring. Love never ends.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...