Monday, June 23, 2008

A New Study

I have ordered the "Starting Points" syllabus by David Quine and I can't wait to work through it myself and then have Alyssa work through it. This study is the first step in a 3-part world view course which is designed to help the student establish a Biblical world view, examine literature from a Biblical world view, and apply that Biblical world view to their lives and decisions. Coming from a public school and secular university background, I have never taken a formal world view course, so this will be very new to me.

This curriculum requires you to read a wide variety of works (from C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity" to Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein") and has you answer questions based on the reading. From what I have gathered from other home-schoolers that are going through this curriculum, it really makes you THINK about what you're reading, whether it agrees with a Biblical world view, and helps you evaulate the world view of the author. So if you see some really uncharacteristic titles in my "Reading Now" list, don't be alarmed. :)

But, like I said, I have ordered that book. Since it hasn't come in yet, I thought a good precursor to that study would be to read "The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment" by Tim Challies. This was recommended by my pastor a few weeks ago and I'm just now getting around to reading it. I'm sure I'll be posting snippets from it soon, so stay tuned...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...