Saturday, July 26, 2008

Birthday Party Fun - Wonka Style

I think the Willy Wonka sleepover for Hannah's 10th birthday was a success. Here are some pictures and info about what we did.

We knew the invitations HAD to be golden tickets. I found some shiny gold scrapbooking paper and printed a Wonka Bar wrapper on the back side and the golden ticket information on the shiny side. We then cut them out, wrapped them around a piece of brown craft foam (It's WAY too hot to mail real chocolate right now!), and mailed them to the invitees. Here are some pictures of the invitation. (I'm only showing part of the inside to conceal the personal info, but you get the idea.)




For the cake, Hannah wanted chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I had planned on making white "Wonka" letters out of fondant to make it look like the Wonka logo. Then Gina started talking about those homemade marshmallows... I talked to her about it and she thought the marshmallows would work to cut out the letters. Since fondant tastes terrible, I thought I'd give it a try. It was hard to cut them with any kind of detail, but I think the letters looked legible, anyway. Below is a picture of the cake with homemade marshmallow letters. I tried to color the hat with food coloring, but it's hard to tell in the picture.





When the guests arrived, they were greeted by Willy Wonka and one of the Oompa Loompas. :) The "candy canes" we're holding are red styrofoam swimming noodles with white duct tape wrapped around them.



For the activites, I would show a clip from the movie and then we would do a game based on the clip. For example, I showed a clip of Augustus Gloop falling in the chocolate river and getting stuck in a pipe. Eventually, the pressure pushed him through the pipe. After the clip, the girls had races blowing marshmallows through straws.




We ordered pizza for dinner and while the girls ate, I showed a clip of Charlie and his grandpa drinking Fizzy Lifting drink and floating to the ceiling. To get down, they had to burp to let out the extra air. So... we had a burping contest. Yes, these were 9 and 10 year-old girls and they had far too much fun with this game, let me tell you!

I then showed 2 clips: one of Veruca Salt throwing a temper tantrum and getting labeled a "bad egg" and going down the garbage shute. The other clip was of Hsawaknow (Wonka Wash spelled backwards). We went outside and "threw a tantrum" by hitting a pinata. Then we had an egg toss and a water balloon fight for the Wonka Wash. (While we were outside and in bathing suits, they played in the sprinklers, too.) Here's a picture of the girls after the water fun. The "hats" they're wearing are actually pieces of the demolished pinata!




We then ate cake and opened presents, then watched a clip of Violet Beauregarde chewing experimental gum and puffing up like a blueberry. The Oompa Loompas rolled her to the juicing room to get squeezed. We had a bubble blowing contest (with blueberry gum, of course!) and then went to the playroom to roll some punch balls I had used for decorations with the swimming noodles (also used as candy cane decorations) through an obstacle course Alyssa had set up for them.



The last clip was of Mike Teevee who shrunk himself via Wonkavision. Willy Wonka told the Oompa Loompas to take him to the taffy pulling room to stretch him out because little boys are extremely elastic. I let them play while I made homemade taffy and they got to pull the taffy. I will say the novelty of this wore off quickly for some of them, but they still thought it was neat that they "made" taffy. I sent them all home with some taffy in their goody bags.


After the taffy, I just let them play games and watch movies in the playroom. I think I can safely say the girls had a good time. They even made ME a thank you card and all signed it saying what fun it was! What a sweet group of girls!


5 comments:

Half A Dozen BOOTH's said...

Madison talked about the party all the way home! She was excited to see the pictures...thanks for sharing them!

Jennifer...you are the BEST party planner!

Stephanie

Baroness Insomniac said...

What a fab party!! =))

I especially loved the burping contest. ;-)

Gina said...

Girl...I'm EXHAUSTED! Elizabeth sat down next to me and when she saw the invitation she said, "Oooh, Willie Wonka!" I think the cake looks great and the marshmallows look fine. I wish I'd known about MARSHMALLOW FONDANT when we talked about it. Just yesterday I saw something that referred to it. It is supposed to taste better than regular fondant and work just as well. (note to self)

I love all the games y'all played!

Krista said...

Wow! I bet you slept well that night! Good job. My mom was quite the creative party planner too...hopefully, I will inherit some of that creativity from her!

Holly said...

What cute ideas! This was a very creative party!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...