Sunday, July 06, 2008

Detours

A man’s heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.
(Proverbs 16:9)


Have you ever taken a look at where you are in life and marveled that you never, ever thought you’d be where you are? I have had that experience many times over the years and have noticed lately that many others around me have mentioned similar experiences. God just seems to throw us these "detours." We think we are heading along one path and then all of a sudden, we find ourselves somewhere we never thought we would be. Don’t get me wrong. Usually it’s some place wonderful or at least some place that causes us to grow in some way; it’s just unexpected.


There are many examples of God redirecting the paths of some of the men and women of the Bible, too. Here are the first few that came to my mind:

  • Paul was heading along the road to Damascus to persecute Christians…BAM! God throws up an extreme detour. (Acts 22:1-16)

  • Joseph went from favored son to lowly slave to Pharaoh’s right-hand man (Genesis 37-41). Do you think he envisioned his life that way as a boy?

  • Moses, who grew up as an Egyptian prince and was “slow of speech,” becomes the leader and spokesperson of the Jewish people and leads them out of captivity (Exodus 2-12). I don’t think he ever dreamed as a child that he would do that.

I find myself in one of those situations now. Many of you have asked about my job search. For those that don’t know, I was laid off from my part-time, home-based job in April and have been looking for something else (still part-time) that will allow me to continue to be at home with my girls. My background is in the IT field and I really thought finding a part-time job would be easy. What I’ve found is that there aren’t many part-time positions out there. When I do find one, they want you to be in the office. So I’ve had to be a bit more creative in my job search. From what I have seen so far, it seems that my work going forward will look more like a combination of freelance jobs rather than punching a clock for a specific employer, which is new for me.


Also, the type of work that I’ve been doing is new. You see, God brought me an opportunity to help a friend and earn some money at the same time. Great! What’s so unusual about that? The unusual part is that the friend is the editor of a goat magazine. Now, for those of you who don’t know me personally, let me clarify a few things: I know nothing about goats or any other farm animals. I don’t go camping. I don’t even like being outdoors. There are bugs out there and I want nothing to do with them. No siree, I want air conditioning! So the fact that I’m selling ads, talking to goat farmers, and writing articles for a goat magazine is really quite funny. (My mother laughed hysterically when I told her.) I’ve heard it said that God has a sense of humor and I’m sure He does. But in these types of situations I think perhaps He is simply delighting in reminding us that He is the One in control.

So the next time you feel yourself on a detour - a path you didn’t expect to take - remember that God is the one directing your steps ... and enjoy the change of scenery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I LOVE the scenario with Paul. Can you for a moment try to wrap your head around how he must have felt at that time?!? Makes me dizzy just trying to do so!

Goats?!?!?! Well I'm ever so thankful the Lord has brought you something and yes, I can kind of see why your Mother started laughing in hysteria, but... just some thoughts here....

1. We as children of God are likened to sheep. As a former sheep "raiser" I can tell you that sheep are the dumbest animals on the planet and extremely frustrating to work with - yet, that's what we're likened to in the Scriptures.

2. The unsaved are likened to goats. Having raised a goat, I learned they are very smart and make interesting companions.

hmmm... Perhaps this foray into the world of goats is going to give you some more insight into these sorts of things?

As always, praying for you all and in particular at this time, your work situation. =))

Love,
Ruthie

Half A Dozen BOOTH's said...

Just so you know, Eric is STILL launging hysterically about the goat magazine (not the magazine itself, but the fact that YOU are selling ads, etc. for it)!

Jennifer said...

Eric laughing at me doesn't surprise me at all. That's okay... his time will come... :)

Baroness Insomniac said...

Just remember... The whole world was laughing at Noah when he was building the Ark. ;)

- Ruthie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...