Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dig In!

How sweet are Your words to my taste,Sweeter than honey to my mouth!


My husband Jameel loves mangoes: not the kind that you get here in the U.S., but the kind that they have in Pakistan. He loves them so much, in fact, that when he sees them, thinks about them, or hears someone talking about them his mouth literally waters. When he was a young boy, they used to tease him with them just to watch him drool all over himself.

I’m reading the book Know What You Believe by Paul E. Little as part of the Starting Points worldview curriculum. One of the study questions for the chapter on the Bible was, “How can you feed on the Word of God? (Think of specific actions.)” So I started thinking about food. What do I think of when I think of my favorite food? What does food do for us? That’s when I thought about Jameel and the mangoes. Just like he salivates over the anticipated mangoes, we should salivate (figuratively speaking, of course) over the anticipated feast of God’s Word. Here are some other thoughts about food:

  • Good food tastes good, which makes us want to consume more of it and consume it often.
  • Good food satisfies our hunger.
  • Good food nourishes us and keeps us healthy.
  • Good food strengthens us.
  • Good food is life-giving to those that are starving.

You can easily see the parallels between these statements about the benefits of physical food and the spiritual “food” of God’s Word. So now that we see the benefits, how can we “feed” on God’s Word? I think the answer is in the first bullet item above: consume (read) more of it and consume (read) it often.

Is anyone else getting hungry?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jrahman - love it - the word of God should be what we are craving at all times. Unlike me when I'm stressed going for the Reese & Diet DP first.

Keep up the good work - love the blog.
Tonya

Kim said...

I am pretty sure we are getting this book for Abigail for part of her fall curriculum...that sounds familiar...I need to see if it is the same author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...