Monday, August 18, 2008

Take Time to Be Holy

I ran across this hymn in our hymnal yesterday and it struck a chord with me. There have been times in my walk with the Lord that I have felt close to Him, but there have been other times that I have felt dreadfully far away. While we can't go by our feelings to monitor our spiritual progress, I can look back and see a direct correlation with how much time I spend in the Word and in prayer to those times when I felt closer to the Lord. I do think holiness takes some work on our part.

It takes time to feed on God's Word.
It takes time to speak often with our Lord in prayer.
It takes time to make friends with other believers.
It takes time to help those who are weak.

Yes, all these things are work and take time. But look at the rewards! Those around us will see the likeness of Jesus in our conduct (vs. 2) and we will be fitted for service above (vs. 4). I'd say that's worth the effort, wouldn't you?
Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.
Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak,
Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy, let Him be thy Guide;
And run not before Him, whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,
And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.

Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,
Each thought and each motive beneath His control.
Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.

Words by Will­iam D. Long­staff, 1882

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...