Friday, August 08, 2008

Vacation and Starting Points Update


Tomorrow morning we will be leaving for vacation (Lord willing!). We will be staying at the beach house pictured here with two other families for a week on Dauphin Island. This may not sound like a big deal to many of you, but it's been about 9 years since we've taken a family vacation, so it's a big deal for us! As soon as we get back from vacation, we will be starting school. Can you guess why I haven't posted much on the blog in the last few weeks? Sometimes I think we work so hard to get ready for a vacation that we don't get as much benefit out of it as we should. Hopefully that won't be the case this time. I'm looking forward to enjoying the peacefulness of the ocean.

I also wanted to give a brief update on my progress in the Starting Points world view curriculum. The first 9 weeks is spent setting the Biblical world view. Actually, the first 7 weeks is spent studying and then in weeks 8 and 9 you write out your personal world view as a result of your study. I just completed Week 6 and will be finishing week 7 next week (Yes, I'm taking it with me on vacation.), so when I get back I will be working on writing out my personal world view. After that, the next 9 weeks are spent identifying literature based upon the Biblical world view.

So far I haven't really encountered anything new or exciting in the study. To be honest, some of it was kind of "ho hum." I think that is because I have been blessed with such good teaching at my church for so many years. Our kids, too, are blessed with great teaching: they learn catechism-like fundamentals with the Creed statements in Sunday school; they learn apologetics-like fundamentals in the Awana program; and then they go to Youth and are given more solid teaching and challenged to make their faith personal. I know that's not everyone's experience, which is why this curriculum has to start with the very basics. It has really made me thankful for the teaching I've received, though. It also convicted me. No matter how much I've been taught, the basic fundamentals of the faith should never be "ho hum." Should I ever get bored of hearing about the sovereignty of God? Should my eyes glaze over when reading about creation? Shame on me!

Lord, may I never tire of reading about Your works, Your character, and Your great love for us.

I hope you all have a wonderful week serving the Lord. We are supposed to have internet access at the beach house, so I may be able to post some while I'm there, but you never know.

4 comments:

Krista said...

I hope you have a wonderful vacation! The vacation home looks great. It is always so funny to me to see every house on the beach be on stilts. Don't work too hard on your vacation! :)

Yes, I agree, shame on us for glossing over the magnificent power and glory of God's creation. One of my favorite reasons to go to the beach is to enjoy a part of creation that my eyes don't often see.

Kim said...

Jennifer,

We went to Dauphin Island a few years ago for a family reunion(my mom's side) and we really liked it there. It was so quiet and peaceful...there was a restaurant there that we really liked...I can't remember the name, but the gumbo was wonderful!!!

I hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation! The house looks great and I know you all will make some wonderful memories there!

I'm sorry Alyssa will miss Abigail's birthday(but the beach looks much better than our backyard!), but maybe we can get them together another time.

Kay Meadors said...

O, we may go there next year for vacation. It was one of the places we considered this year, but Rio Grande Valley of TX won again. Let me know if there is a lot of birds. I hope you soak up all that lovely sand and sun! Family vacation time is the best!

Anonymous said...

Jrahman - I'm so excited for you to have a REAL VACA! Very much deserved, I know you will have some wonderful pictures & family memories to share with us when you return. Tonya

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...