Monday, September 22, 2008

Cool Tool: E-Sword


Many of you may already be E-Sword users. But for those who haven’t heard about it, I wanted to post about it so you can reap the benefits of this cool Bible study tool. E-Sword is a FREE piece of software you can download here. It can be used to simply read the Bible or compare different versions for a particular passage. You can also click on a word and it will look it up in Strong’s Dictionary, Webster’s Dictionary, Nave’s Topical Bible, or any of the other downloadable dictionaries. You can add your own notes about a particular passage or read notes from other commentaries simply by clicking on the passage. I have found it to be a great resource for my own study (and did I mention it’s FREE!?!?!).


If you go to the download section on the website, you will find that you can download additional Bible versions, commentaries, dictionaries, graphics, extras, devotions, and STEP libraries. The STEP libraries are text versions of books and sermons by great Christian authors such as John Bunyan, John Newton, and J.C. Ryle. (For example, the J.C. Ryle collection contains his book Holiness as well as his Expository Thoughts on the Gospels.) These are helpful even if you have the books, because you can print out just the section you want or copy and paste it into another document (or blog post, perhaps!).


My friend Becky has recently had some wonderful posts about passages she has looked up in Matthew Henry’s Commentary. I don’t have that volume, but it’s available on E-Sword, so I have been using it for my own study and have been greatly blessed. (Thank you, Becky, for reminding me of this great resource!) I know E-Sword does much more than I’ve mentioned here (I didn’t even talk about the prayer lists or image libraries), but I hope I’ve given you a broad overview of some of its benefits. The E-Sword website has much more information for those who are interested. I should mention that some of the modules are not free, presumably because of copyright issues. But there are quite a few that are free and those are the only ones I've downloaded. If you are already using E-Sword, feel free to comment on this post with the modules you have found to be most helpful.

2 comments:

boo4baby said...

I have never heard of this! Thanks for sharing. I will go look at it this afternoon. Pray for Grantmeister. He is getting upper braces today! Yes, at 8 years old. He has two front teeth growing straight out! He is afraid....slept on the floor in my room last night because he couldn't get to sleep.
:(

Love ya, girl!

Jennifer said...

Poor Grant! I'll be praying. Keep me posted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...