Saturday, September 06, 2008

Scripture Sleuth

The girls and I have been reading J.C. Ryle's Expository Thoughts on Matthew each morning at breakfast for a while. Each section is short and most of the time, even Hannah (my youngest) can understand it. Notice I said most of the time. She started out enjoying it, but in recent weeks she hasn't been quite as excited about it.

In an effort to give Hannah something that is a little more simple to understand, we have started reading one chapter of a Scripture Sleuth book by Matt Halverson each week in the place of Matthew. Now don't get me wrong, these are NOT expository, devotion-type books at all. They are the fictional account of a boy named Concord Cunningham (nicknamed The Concordance) who solves mysteries using the Bible. Each chapter is a stand-alone mini mystery and the solutions are in the back. (It is laid out somewhat like the Encyclopedia Brown books, if you're familiar with those.) The difference is that Concord gives the reader a Bible verse that holds the final clue needed to solve the mysteries.

What I like about these books is that they are a fun way to get the kids to see that the Bible contains a vast amount of information on topics they don't even realize. Even seemingly "insignificant" verses tell us things about our world that can help us in our daily lives. For example, one mystery is solved with the verse Psalm 42:7 (Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; All Your waves and billows have gone over me.) because it mentions the noise of waterfalls. (I won't spoil the book by telling you why that knowledge was helpful.)

Concord has never met a mystery that the Bible can't solve. These books portray God's Word as living, active, and able to help out in any situation. And that's exactly how I want my kids to think.

6 comments:

Gina said...

How young do you think these would work for? I loved Encyclopedia Brown books when I was a kid and I'd love to share something like that with my kids (I'll probably do EB books, too). I'm thinking around 8-10ish? That's how old I was when reading EB.

Jennifer said...

I looked on ChristianBook.com and they list the ages as 7-12. If you're reading it aloud to them and you have a pretty perceptive 7 year old, then I can see that. I don't know if one that young could read it themselves, though. I'll bring one with me tomorrow for you to look through, if you want.

Krista said...

These books look great. I will have to keep them in mind for my girls in a few years.

boo4baby said...

These sound great for Grantmeister. Thanks for sharing!

R. D. Bailey said...

good stuff. by the way, i'm blogging again.

Jennifer said...

I noticed you were blogging again. Glad to have you back! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...