Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

I read this today in How to Read Slowly by James W. Sire. He was commenting on the parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-37.

Question: Does Jesus answer the lawyer’s question, “Who is my neighbor?” … In effect, Jesus is refusing to answer the question posed in the lawyer’s terms. He is not about to quibble over who someone has to be in relation to you before he is your neighbor and you have to love him “as yourself.” Rather, he calls the lawyer himself to be a neighbor, to act out the characteristics of neighborliness and thus fulfill the demands of the second commandment of the law.

I had never really noticed that before. The lawyer asks who his neighbor IS (in essence, to whom must he show love and mercy). Jesus answers by telling HIM to BE neighborly. Isn’t it interesting how Jesus got directly to the heart of the issue? This was a good reminder for me as we start a new year of school, Awana, and other activities. I am called to BE loving and merciful to those around me, whoever that may be.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Hi Jennifer,
I got your blog address from a comment you left on Krista's blog (when she was trying to smoke out the mystery blog reader!)

I was just being nosey and wasn't going to comment, but I noticed we have read MANY, many of the same books this year, particularly the Lamplighter books and the ones from reformed authors.

I am in a woman's book club and we're always looking for new things to read (in fact, next month our book selection is How to Read Slowly!) Do you have anything from your sidebar that you consider an absolute must-read, but that would also be a good discussion starter?

P.S. I loved the Bejiing You Tube :)

Jennifer said...

Hi, Debbie! It's nice to "meet" you! :) Any friend of Krista's is a friend of mine!

"Everyday Talk" was a very impactful book for me. If your group is largely women with children still in the home, I would highly recommend that one.

"Becoming a Woman Who Pleases God" is another good one, but it's pretty thick so that may intimidate some readers. You probably know the women in your group and whether that would be a good choice or not.

ANYTHING by Martha Peace. You just can't go wrong with her. She has such a wonderful way of admonishing you but not discouraging you.

I think those would be my top picks of the ones I've read this year. Let me know what you end up reading. Sounds like a fun group!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...