Sunday, September 14, 2008

Worship in the Middle of the Muddle

What a blessing we received at the women’s conference at our church this weekend! Logan Carr and Pam Snider taught us about and led us in worship. The title of this post is a quote from Logan, who encouraged us to make every moment of our day a worship experience. Isn’t it descriptive? I can see so many of my days that I just “muddle” through. One thing Logan pointed out is that worship is WORK. We have to work at focusing our hearts to praise God in good times and in bad times. Pam gave this definition of worship:

“Worship is the overflow of a God-centered heart and life.”


So the idea is if our hearts and lives are already God-centered, then worship will just naturally flow from our lips. We won’t be able to help ourselves! One thing I decided to change as a result of this teaching is that I’m separating my “devotional/worship” time from my “study” time. I’ve read some wonderful, helpful, biblical books this year, but I haven’t always started my day off in a truly worshipful state of mind. I’m hoping this change helps set the tone for my day and primes my heart for worship from the start. To do this, I’m picking up something I started over 6 years ago. At that time, I started going through the Psalms, analyzing each one and meditating on it. I used the following as a guideline:

1. Read it in its context.
2. Determine the type and theme and author.
3. Meditate on the parallelism of the psalm (that's like rhyming with ideas).
4. Unpack the imagery.
5. Read it in light of its title.
6. Glean theological teaching of the psalm.
7. Ask how it anticipates Jesus Christ.
8. Consider it a mirror of your soul.
9. Let the psalm guide your worship, your prayers, and your life!


I only made it through Psalm 17 at that time and I never took it back up again. My hope is to start with Psalm 18 and to go through all of them. We’ll see how I do. It may take me years to get through them, but that’s okay. If it cultivates a heart for zealous worship without distraction, it will be time well spent!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...