Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mitt 'N' Mixes


For the last 8 or 9 years, we've made gift mixes for Christmas. Instead of baking something that the recipient has to eat right away, I've found that people really appreciate a mix that they can use any time they want. We give them to Sunday school teachers, Awana leaders, pastors, coworkers, neighbors, friends, and just about anyone that we want to bless in some small way at Christmas.
I take great pains to come up with mixes that actually taste good and that are easy for the recipient to make. (Remember, the point is to bless them!) I have also used a variety of packaging methods over the years: mason jars, fabric bags, paper bags, decorated cans... if it'll hold a mix and is cute, I'm willing to give it a try! This year, my packaging is terribly cute (even if I do say so myself). I bought Christmas-y oven mitts after Christmas last year (half price - Woo-hoo!) and am using them for my gift mixes this year. I am really pleased with how they turned out. The only problem is I don't know how I'm going to top it for next year! (Yes, I'm already thinking about NEXT Christmas. I know. It's an illness. Pray for me.) That's where you come in, my creative blog-reading friend! If you have any creative packaging ideas, let me know! I would like to figure out what I'm going to use next year so that I can scour the after-Christmas sales this year.

6 comments:

Gina said...

{stares straight ahead} You want me to think? Really? Bwahahahahahahaha

Jennifer said...

Says the woman who just posted about new Christmas stockings for her family? You don't fool me, Gina! You're already thinking! :)

K said...

That is a great idea here!!! I have received some of the mix in the past (the cranberry white chocolate cookies...delicious) and we loved getting that! No ideas for next year though.

Elizaspork said...

--Christmasy socks!! Life is too short to wear boring socks.
--Christmasy beanie hats. Even if they don't want the hat, it's a good white elephant gift or something...
--mini (or normal) Santa hats; the fact that santa is fictional doesn't matter.
--a stuffed kangaroo! The mix goes in the pouch.

As evidenced by that last suggestion, I'm running out of ideas at present. Maybe more later :) See you tomorrow!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the ideas, Spork! The stuffed kangaroo is especially interesting, although I don't know anywhere I could get Christmasy kangaroos on sale... :)

boo4baby said...

I love mine! Thanks so much for always giving.....not just at the holidays! You are a cherished friend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...