Monday, December 29, 2008

Verses for 2009

Every year I select a passage of Scripture on which to meditate throughout the year. This past year (2008), I selected 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a because I felt like I really needed to work on being more loving. As I started thinking about which passage to use for 2009, I honestly felt like I should just keep using 1 Corinthians 13 since I still have so far to go in this respect. In recent weeks, though, I have been pondering not so much what love looks like, but our example and motivation for love. That has led me to Ephesians 5:1-2 for 2009’s verses:


Matthew Henry says this about this passage:

Pious persons should imitate the God whom they worship, as far as he has revealed himself as imitable by them. They must conform themselves to his example, and have his image renewed upon them. This puts a great honour upon practical religion, that it is the imitating of God. We must be holy as God is holy, merciful as he is merciful, perfect as he is perfect. But there is no one attribute of God more recommended to our imitation than that of his goodness. Be you imitators of God, or resemble him, in every grace, and especially in his love, and in his pardoning goodness. God is love; and those that dwell in love dwell in God and God in them.
I love the fact that this passage also speaks directly about walking in love, which forces me to continue to focus on being more loving. I also love the visual component in these verses of being an imitator of God. In order to imitate someone, you have to know them. So to start off the year, I will be reading A.W. Pink’s Attributes of God to get me focusing on some of the attributes of this marvelous God whom we are called to imitate. Stay tuned…

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...