Monday, January 05, 2009

Attributes of God: The Knowledge of God

In A.W. Pink’s The Attributes of God, he spends the first seven chapters talking about the non-communicable (or is it incommunicable?) attributes of God (those we cannot share – they are His alone). The excerpt below is the first paragraph on the chapter about the knowledge of God.

God is omniscient. He knows everything: everything possible, everything actual; all events and all creatures, of the past, the present, and the future. He is perfectly acquainted with every detail in the life of every being in heaven, in earth, and in hell. “He knoweth what is in the darkness” (Dan. 2:22). Nothing escapes His notice, nothing can be hidden from Him, nothing is forgotten by Him. Well may we say with the Psalmist, “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it” (Ps. 139:6). His knowledge is perfect. He never errs, never changes, never overlooks anything. “Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do” (Heb. 4:13). Yes such is the God with whom “we have to do”!


At the end of the chapter, he gives a word or two by way of application.

The infinite knowledge of God should fill us with amazement. How far exalted above the wisest man is the Lord! None of us knows what a day may bring forth, but all futurity is open to His omniscient gaze. The infinite knowledge of God ought to fill us with a holy awe. Nothing we do, say, or even think, escapes the cognizance of Him with whom we have to do: “The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good” (Prov. 15:3). What a curb this would be unto us, did we but meditate upon it more frequently! Instead of acting recklessly, we should say with Hagar, “Thou God seest me” (Gen. 16:13). The apprehension of God’s infinite knowledge should fill the Christian with adoration. The whole of my life stood open to His view from the beginning. He foresaw my every fall, my every sin, my every backsliding; yet, nevertheless, fixed His heart upon me. Oh, how the realization of this should bow me in wonder and worship before Him!


If that doesn’t start your week off in an attitude of worship, I don’t know what will!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once I heard an older preacher say, "Has it ever occured to you that nothing ever occured to God?" At first thought this is just something to be observed. At second thought, this is much more involved and deeper than we might think. Enjoy your study by Mr. Pink!

Baroness Insomniac said...

It fills me with comfort and causes me to cry out to God who knows me, all of me; who understands me - and loves me anyway.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...