Monday, January 12, 2009

Blogging Break

I wanted to let my three faithful readers know that I will be conspicuously absent from the blogosphere for a week or so. (After all, I wouldn’t want you to worry!) And the reason for this blogging break?

Am I going on a fun-filled family vacation? Uh, no.

Am I being swept away on a romantic cruise with my hubby? Wrong again.

No, I am going into the hospital bright and early tomorrow for surgery to remove my thyroid. (Aren’t you jealous?)

This is not a big surprise; it’s a day I knew would come sooner or later. About 3 years ago, a routine visit to the doctor for a sinus infection uncovered the fact that I had nodules on my thyroid. I was put under the care of an endocrinologist who did some tests and decided to “watch and wait.” Since then I have been going for regular check-ups, knowing that eventually the nodules would grow and have to be removed. At my last check-up, my doctor pronounced that the long-anticipated day had arrived.

If all is well, I should be able to come home the day after my surgery. My surgeon is very highly recommended and from what I understand, this is a relatively routine surgery and the recovery is pretty speedy. So no worries. I’ll be back in the saddle (er… computer chair) soon enough.

Since you’ll have some free time on your hands, I would appreciate your prayers for any or all of the following:

  • Pray that the surgery will go smoothly and the nodules are benign.
  • Pray for my family while I am in the hospital. (Hannah, especially, is a bit fearful.)
  • Pray that my body will react well to the thyroid medication.
  • Pray that I will be able to sing after the surgery. I will definitely be unable to sing for a while (weeks? months?). But my bigger concern is that one risk of the surgery (about 1 in every 20 cases) is that my vocal cords could be permanently “paralyzed”. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be able to talk, but I might not be able to sing. I'm no vocal superstar, but I really enjoy singing in my church choir and ladies ensemble, so that would be a really sad thing for me. With that being said, God gave me my voice and it’s His to do with what He will. If He chooses to take it away, I’m sure He will give me another area in which to serve. But if I get to choose, I would really like to be able to sing. :)

Thank you for your prayers. I expect to be back online soon.

10 comments:

Baroness Insomniac said...

I have been praying and will continue to do so - for your health, comfort, peace and voice and that your family will also be comforted from the Lord. (((hugs))) Hang in there!!

K said...

Ditto to the previous commentor (or is it commenter...Miss Good Speller? :D )

Jennifer said...

Technically, it's "commenter" but I confess I had to look that one up. "Commentor" looks more correct. Oh, well. What do I know? :)

Krista said...

I will be praying for you when God brings you to my mind...and specifically for the requests you made! May God faithfully sustain you over the next few days.

anrah said...

It's definitely 'Commenter'. (I wish I could get that in the County Bee! That would be really funny!!)
I can't believe you looked it up, Mom!!! :)

Alyssa

Spork said...

I'll also be praying :) Perhaps you can sing a few of your favorite with your girls (or on your own...) tonight and in the morning, both as encouragement for you all and just to enjoy singing :) I pray that no complications will happen and that you will be singing with gusto for years to come, hehe...

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Spork! :) I've been singing my head off for the last couple of weeks. I think my poor kids are sick of hearing me already. :)

Half A Dozen BOOTH's said...

This is technically your 5th comment (since you commented 2x and your daughter another)so I'd say you have more than 3 readers! Most people must be like me...read and don't post. Wanted you to know that the Booths are praying. We love you!

anrah said...

Jennifer said, "Thanks, Spork! :) I've been singing my head off for the last couple of weeks. I think my poor kids are sick of hearing me already. :)"

Oh no, we're not!! :) We're going to miss it while you're in recovery!

Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you that in Romania we are continuing to bring you before the throne of grace. We have a small Bible conference tomorrow, and I know all will want to pray for you also. Love you so much and look forward to what the Lord has for you. God Bless!

Janet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...