Saturday, January 10, 2009

Christ Asks for All

This is a poem by Elizabeth Prentiss (the author of Stepping Heavenward and other books) that I found in the book Golden Hours: Heart Hymns of the Christian Faith. It is entitled "Christ Asks for All" and I wanted to share it with you. I have bolded a part at the end that I particularly love.


A jealous lover art Thou, oh my God,
Asking my all from me;
Is it too much to give? Can I refuse
This all to Thee?

I cannot trust myself, for while I say,
All that I have is Thine,
There may be hidden in my inmost heart
Something yet mine.

I may be clinging though I know it not,
To some long-cherished joy;
I may be clasping, with a childish heart,
Some childish toy.

I would not have it thus! I would let go
Of every outward thing,
That I with empty hands, my dearest Lord,
To Thee may cling.

Thou art enough to satisfy my heart;
Long years have taught me this,
Take all, but leave Thyself, I cannot ask
A greater bliss.

I just love that bolded part. It is a great visual picture, reminding us to look at all we hold dearly and not let anything crowd out our love for Christ.

2 comments:

Krista said...

GREAT quote! Thanks for posting it. Have you read her bio by Sharon James (I think that is who wrote it)? I don't read bios often, but I thought I might enjoy that one. If you have read it, would you recommend it?

Jennifer said...

I haven't read that one but I want to. Alyssa got me this Hymn book of hers for my birthday and it tells a brief bio of her. Sounds like she had a tough life. I really like all of her (Elizabeth Prentiss's) books. I haven't read them all but quite a few. If you read the bio, let me know if you like it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...