Thursday, January 15, 2009

Five Faves

Well, I'm home from the hospital. My surgery went well and I am convalescing so I have some time on my hands. So I thought I would put together a post that I had been mulling over before I went to the hospital...

Recently I had someone ask me a thought-provoking question. They asked me what books I had read (besides the Bible) that shaped my religious views. For some of you that may be an easy question to answer, but it was a challenging question for me. Along those lines, I thought I would create a new meme and get some feedback from some of you. So here goes....

Please answer the following questions:
  1. What are five non-fiction books that have had a significant impact on your life (other than the Bible)?
  2. What are your five favorite fiction books of all time?
    • The Little Preacher by Elizabeth Prentiss - This is my favorite book by Elizabeth Prentiss. I even like it better than Stepping Heavenward.
    • That Printer of Udell's by Harold Bell Wright - This book was cited by Ronald Reagan as one of the most influential books he ever read.
    • The Giant Killer by A.L.O.E. - This is an allegory of the Christian life mixed in with another story. It's one that you will want to read and re-read, especially with children.
    • Hedge of Thorns by John Carrol - This is a true story that demonstrates that God places boundaries in our lives because He loves us.
    • Teddy’s Button by Amy LeFeuvre - This is a wonderful story that explains salvation in simple-to-understand terms.

  3. What were five of your favorite books (or series) when you were growing up?
    • Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
    • Chronicles of Narnia books by C.S. Lewis
    • Ramona Quimby books by Beverly Cleary
    • Comic books - Yeah, I know it's weak but I read a lot of Richie Rich and Archie comics as a kid.
    • Encyclopedia Brown books by Donald J. Sobol

  4. Name five books you would like to read this year.
    1. The Attributes of God by A.W. Pink (reading now)
    2. Following God with All Your Heart by Elizabeth George
    3. The Supremacy of Christ in a Postmodern World by John Piper and Justin Taylor
    4. How to Worship Jesus Christ by Joseph S. Carroll
    5. Holiness by J. C. Ryle - This has been on my shelf for an embarrassingly long time.

    • Tag 5 people to complete this Meme:
      1. Becky at A Stretched Out Mom
      2. Kim at Lifesong
      3. Jason at JRL Daily Thoughts
      4. Elizabeth at Hardly To Be Discerned
      5. Krista at The Adventures of the Fetterlys

    If you were tagged (or even if you weren't and just want to play along), please answer the questions above on your own blog and leave a link in the comments of this post to your answers.

    3 comments:

    Kim said...

    Thanks for tagging me...I will think on this and try to post soon.

    JRL said...

    Jennifer,

    I feel very special to be the lone male on the list. haha. I will think these through and have something posted by the weekend.

    Grace upon grace,
    JRL

    JRL said...

    Here are mine Jennifer:

    http://jrldailythoughts.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-fab-five.html

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...