Tuesday, February 03, 2009

It's a "Wrap"

I am what I call a "functional seamstress." I can sew on a button, hem pants, and sew very simple crafty projects. I have never taken any kind of sewing classes and can count on one hand the number of times I've used an honest-to-goodness, store-bought pattern. So it was with some trepidation that I tackled my first-ever wearable sewing project.

You see, this Friday is our annual father/daughter banquet at my church. Alyssa was blessed to borrow a gorgeous purple formal from someone that fits her perfectly (Thanks, Emma!). The only catch is that the dress is sleeveless and it's February. Brr! So we set out on a quest to find a wrap of some sort to go with it. She already has silver shoes and we easily found silver jewelry and a silver handbag to go with it. Finding a silver wrap, though, proved to be a nearly-impossible task. I'm sure I could've found one if I wanted to part with tons of money, but I'm far too cheap frugal for that. So I headed to Hancock's Fabrics and purchased a pattern and some material, thinking SURELY I could handle a simple wrap.

Well, I made it last night and I think it turned out nicely, even if I do say so myself! It's fake fur with satin lining and a cute little button closure. I'm posting a picture here, but I'm sure I'll post pictures of her wearing it after the banquet.




Oh, and the best part? The entire project (including the pattern, which was on sale) cost me less than $25! Woo-hoo!

10 comments:

K said...

I am soo impressed. Good job!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, K! I was really pleased. There are a few boo-boos in there, but mostly those are in the lining where they won't be seen. Of course, I also didn't mention the 2 or 3 times I had to rip out seams to fix things I messed up... :) The fake fur was a very forgiving fabric, though, which was nice.

Gina said...

Waaaaay cute!!! You did a great job! I'm impressed!

Spork said...

Beauteous!

Spork said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Krista said...

Very pretty! Great job! So when are you going to start taking orders! :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks, guys!

Krista, you may want to see it in person before you're ready to order one. Ha ha! :)

Half A Dozen BOOTH's said...

Love it!Can't wait to see the pictures from that night. I know everyone must look forward to it so much!

R. D. Bailey said...

talents and skills.

by the way, have you heard from the claxtons recently?

Baroness Insomniac said...

It's gorgeous and I know she'll look gorgeous wearing it. =)) Well done!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...