Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Our Motivation

Humility. Putting the needs of others above your own. We all desire to be humble because we know it’s how God wants us to live. But the moment we think we have made some headway into being humble, we have surely lost ground. As I read this paragraph about Jesus’ 5th saying on the Cross (“I thirst.”) in A.W. Pink’s Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross, I was struck (again) by just how selfish I am.

The Saviour thirsted, and he who thirsted thus, remember, possessed all power in heaven and earth. Had he chosen to exercise his omnipotency, he could have readily satisfied his need. He that of old had caused the water to flow from the smitten rock for the refreshment of Israel in the wilderness had the same infinite resources at his disposal now. He who turned the water into wine at a word, could have spoken the word of power here, and met his own need. But he never once performed a miracle for his own benefit or comfort.

Had you ever noticed that? I hadn’t and it so humbled me. I am certain that if I had any power at all (much less the infinite power that Jesus has), I would use it in some way for my own comfort. Sure, I might do some good for others, too. But I know my sin-sick heart well enough to know that I would also sneak in some personal benefit. The condescension and humility of Jesus staggers me once again.

God, thank you for giving us such a perfect example of how to live our lives in a way that pleases You. Please help me look to Jesus’ example and put the needs of others above my own comfort.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Thanks Jennifer! Great post! I am so there! With all we are going through I have seen others sacrifice and put us first and it has shown me my selfish heart. I have cried buckets over the sacrifice of others and my own wretched sin that would put me first. I appreciate your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...