Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Feeling Shredded


shred 
–verb (used with object)
1. to cut or tear into small pieces, esp. small strips;

–verb (used without object)
2. to be cut up, torn, etc.

Since my thyroid surgery in January, I have gained 10 lbs. I'm not sure if that's because my thyroid meds aren't quite right yet or if it's because of the decrease in activity due to the lack of energy I've had. Nevertheless, those 10 lbs are there and I don't want them! A few weeks ago, I ran across this blog post encouraging readers to do Jillian Michaels' (of Biggest Loser fame) 30 Day Shred exercise video together. I decided to take up this challenge and ordered the video.

It came in last week and we all (the girls and I) excitedly started "shredding" on Friday. Let me say that this workout is not for sissies. An example of Jillian's "encouragement": "I've got 400-lb. people that can do jumping jacks; so can you." And my personal favorite quote: "If you feel like you're gonna die, keep your eyes on Anita" (the person doing the not-so-modified version of the workout for us wimps who can't handle the full thing yet).

On Saturday I could barely move, but I did it again. Alone. Without the girls. Yeah, they're tough. (I hope they're reading this so they get shamed into doing it with me again.)

On Sunday I was still sore, but not as bad. I skipped Sunday because I decided one day off a week wouldn't kill me.

Today is Day 5 of my 30-day Shred and I can say that, although I believe Jillian truly seems to enjoy inflicting pain on people, I can't argue with the results. I am now able to do most of the Level 1 workout without feeling like calling 9-1-1. That's an improvement for me! I'm still sore, but I can feel a difference in my body already. An added benefit is that I think it is helping my back problems, too. I am going to try to resist the temptation to get on the scales until after 20 days. We'll see how that goes.

If you're interested in seeing how others are doing with this challenge, you can read Vicki's follow-up post and comments from other "Shred-Heads" here.


6 comments:

Baroness Insomniac said...

You brave, brave woman! =)) Great going and I hope it continues to work for you. =))

Kay said...

I am proud of you, jealous but proud. You need to kick my big fat rear and make me take your challenge. Maybe it would help my back.

boo4baby said...

I want to! I want to! I have recently started walking/jogging 4 miles a day, but I need variance, especially on rainy days! I am going to look at it!

boo4baby said...

I ordered it and am waiting on it to come in the mail! Thanks!

Jennifer said...

I hope you like it Becky. I noticed Kim bought it, too. :)

You'll need hand weights, too. We have one pair and have been sharing them. (Yes, Alyssa was shamed into doing it with me again - Tee hee!) We need to get a second pair. They really make a difference.

Kim said...

Great job--I can't wait for mine to come in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...