Monday, May 18, 2009

Notebook and Pencil Covers

Every year I make a small gift for each of the 3rd and 4th grade girls in our Awana club for their birthday. Usually it's a decorated box or coin purse or something simple and we put candy in them. I make enough in the summer so that I don't have to make them throughout the year. As I was thinking about what to do for next year, I ran across this adorable Scrappy Wallet pattern. It got my creative juices flowing and I modified it into this notebook and pencil cover:


This is a picture of the first one I made. I absolutely LOVE the fabric that I found at Hobby Lobby for this project. The notebook is a standard 3x5 spiral notebook and we found the pencils at Target. They are mechanical pencils but were only 5 inches long (the PERFECT size for this project).
In case you want to make some of your own, you can use the instructions here. The only changes I made were to cut the pieces different sizes. The outside and inside covers are 12.75" x 4.5". The pocket piece is 10" x 4.5" and I sewed the seam 1" from the right to hold the pencil. I may try making the next ones 1/2 inch shorter, though. I seem to have quite a bit of "wiggle room" even after adding the notebook. I also would like to find some bigger buttons in bright colors. I'll let you know how that goes. I just have 29 more to make... Yeah, that should keep me busy through the summer.


7 comments:

Gina said...

Cuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!! Makes me want to be a Chum! :)

Jennifer said...

Well, Gina, we *do* happen to have a few openings for leaders (hint, hint)! :)

Krista said...

Very cute! :) And thanks for your prayers for Jane.

boo4baby said...

I used the same fabric on your first one for something recently! Cute! You are so creative!

Baroness Insomniac said...

Killian = creativity with fabric! Ask for one by name. Accept no substitutes! (Ok, end of goof!) Totally neat and I love it! =)) xxx

Half A Dozen BOOTH's said...

Meghan is requesting a lesson on making these..might just be a ploy to see Alyssa again!

Jennifer said...

Steph - Ploy or not, I bet that can be arranged. We do need to get the girls together again soon anyway. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...