Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Kaboom-ing

Jameel's sister and her family are coming to visit in a few weeks so we're in high gear trying to get some projects completed around the house. I'll be posting some pictures of some of these soon, but today I want to share a cleaning discovery with you. I'm actually hesitant to blog about this because if I show you the before and after pictures you will see how filthy my house really was! This stuff is so great, though, I'm going to swallow my pride and show you anyway.

What I'm talking about is a product called "Kaboom." A few weeks ago, a friend told me about it and said that it was supposed to be good for cleaning tile grout (Thank you, Christine!). Well, I have to say that is an understatement! Check out the before and after pictures below. This stuff is GREAT! You just spray it on, wait 3 minutes, scrub off the grime (I used a small brush like the ones you use on dishes), and wipe it clean with a wet rag. I did all of this cleaning in just a few hours over the last 2 days. Jameel is going to re-seal the grout so hopefully it won't get that bad again. I feel like I have a new kitchen and entryway! And in case you're wondering, none of these photos have been touched up -- I promise!

The kitchen before:


The kitchen after (Yes, that's the color my grout is SUPPOSED to be!):


The entryway before:



The entryway after:


To fully appreciate how bad the entryway was, here is a picture of one corner before:


And the same corner after:


If you have any tile or grout that you need to clean, I highly recommend this product. I even have some left over you can borrow. :)

9 comments:

besnini said...

Two things 1) I think our living room and your hallway have the same color walls...close anyway. 2)I have looked at Kaboom before but was scared off by the need for gloves. Did you wear gloves and the other question would be: how were the fumes/odor? We have awful grout problems in the master bath. It would be wonderful if I could get that clean :)

Krista said...

I tediously cleaned my kitchen tile and grout several months ago...it took FOREVER. I just used baking soda and vinegar and scrubbed until my arm fell off. I never got to my bathrooms because I was so burned out on it! I am definitely going to try KaBoom. Thanks for sharing! :)

By the way, your tile and grout look great!

Jennifer said...

besnini - No fumes, no gloves, and I didn't think the smell was unpleasant at all. Just a clean smell. I did find out that if you sit on the floor while cleaning it, it might bleach out your black pants you were wearing, though. :( I haven't washed them yet to see if it will come out, but it doesn't look promising.

Krista - I spent 2 hours Monday in the kitchen. Tuesday I spent another hour going over the bad spots in the kitchen (mostly corners and heavy traffic areas) and then an hour in the entryway. My knees are sore from kneeling on the tile but my arms are fine. I really didn't have to scrub that hard at all.

Baroness Insomniac said...

This stuff looks great. I think they should come out with an industrial strength that hoovers, dusts, plumps pillows AND screens calls from your Mum-in-Law. =))

Jennifer said...

Baroness - You should create that and sell it to the company for a bazillion dollars and retire! Tee hee! :)

Baroness Insomniac said...

Mwah ha ha! ;)

Jodi said...

Ooh, I love Kaboom! I cleaned my tile and grout with it earlier this year, after trying everything else under the sun. I went through 2 bottles of it, my kitchen was so bad.

Eliza Welch said...

I really enjoyed looking around your lovely blog and would absolutely love it if you would stop by my blog!
Eliza's Blog

Laura Jones said...

Thank you so much for this tip! I'm going to go buy some of this stuff today. My grout is so awful, and I've been trying to find something that actually WORKS!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...