Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bookmark for Professor Horner's Bible Reading System


I have started using Professor Horner's Bible Reading system and I really like it. (If you're not familiar with this system, you can read more about it here.) The thing I like about it is that there's NO GUILT. With other Bible reading systems, I would inevitably miss a day and get off "schedule." Then I would feel guilty and have to double up (or triple up!) to get back on track. Somewhere around Leviticus, I would get frustrated and stop alltogether.

With Prof. Horner's system, though, there's no timeline. You have 10 chapters to read per day (or, as I like to think of it, per "cycle"). If you don't get through all of them, no biggie. Just start from where you left off the next day. That really works for me! What I didn't like about it, though, was the ugly sticky notes hanging out of my Bible to keep my place in all the sections.


So I decided to make a 10-ribbon bookmark of my own to use for the system (Click on image to enlarge).


To make it, I just selected the colors I wanted in 1/4 inch satin ribbon and bought a cute little "ring" in the jewelry section at a craft store (And it was on sale 50% off, too! Woo-hoo!). Here is everything you will need to make your own:


I measured the ribbon so that it would be a few inches longer than my Bible and doubled it. Then I attached the ribbons to the ring, wrote the books for each section on the ribbons with a fine-point Sharpee, and applied Fray Check to the ends of the ribbons. Now my Bible looks like this:


I use the ribbon that is attached to my Bible to hold my place in the system and use these ribbons to keep my place in each section. If you prefer paper bookmarks, you can download a description of Professor Horner's system and the bookmarks that accompany it here. Having a no guilt Bible-reading system and a pretty bookmark for it works for me!

This post is part of the Works For Me Wednesday blog carnival hosted by We Are That Family. Head over there to check out some other great tips!

5 comments:

Gina said...

Oooooh! Pretty!!!

boo4baby said...

I am loving his reading system, too. It seems like NOTHING to read the 10 chapters and just seeing that God's message is the same all through Scripture has been very encouraging! Love it! And love your bookmark, too!

Rebecca said...

Oh,you are so getting the Wiley E. Coyote, Supergenius Award!!! I have been fighting with paper bookmarks, sticky notes, and checklists in 5 point font for two years. Love, love, love this project.

Tasha said...

I also decided to use ribbons instead of the paper bookmarks. However, it did not dawn on me to write on the ribbons.

How did you interweave the ribbons around the ring to secure them? I can't quite tell from the picture.

Thanks

Tasha

Jennifer said...

Tasha,

I just folded the ribbons in half, looped them through the ring, and tucked the ends of the ribbons through the loop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...