Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Talking Points

I was recently discussing the movie “Princess Protection Program” with a friend and told them that it has some good talking points about external vs. internal beauty and about giving back/serving others. That made me think about what other movies have good talking points. Here are a couple of my favorites.

  • Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the OLD version) - This movie is like a caricature of typical childhood problems (overeating, excessive TV watching, selfishness, etc.). I can just whine in my best Veruca Salt voice, “I want it NOOOOOWWWWW” and my kids get the hint… and typically also break out into song. :)
  • Peter Pan (the Disney animated version) – This one may surprise you a little. There is one particular scene in this movie that I use a LOT to talk about not returning evil for evil. I tried to find a clip of this scene online, but couldn’t, so I will attempt to recount it for you here. In the scene, Wendy, Michael, and John have just met Peter Pan, who has an angry Tinkerbell in his cap. Little Michael peers into the cap and sees Tinkerbell and asks:

Michael: What’s the pixie doing?
Peter: Talking.
Wendy: What did she say?
Peter:
She says you’re a big ugly girl. (Laughs)
Wendy: (Briefly laughs and then realizes what he said and becomes more serious.) Oh. Well I think she’s lovely.
I have frequently told my girls to "be a Wendy” and not a “Tinkerbell” or have said (in my best British accent, of course), “I think she’s lovely.” They know exactly what I mean because I’ve used it on them so much.

So what about you? I know there are lots of good movies with talking points out there. What are your favorites?

4 comments:

Gina said...

Oooh, love the Tink/Wendy talking point. Will be using that one!

tjobe01 said...

You are years ahead of me our talking points currently are over the Veggie Tales :0) tj

besnini said...

I don't know if you follow Dawn's blog but you might find today's post interesting and it goes along with this topic. www.spanishmorning.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Oh, thanks! I didn't know Dawn had a blog. I'm adding her to my list now. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...