Thursday, August 06, 2009

Call Me Crazy

I think I have officially lost my mind...

Some of you know that for Alyssa's 13th birthday, Jameel made her a hope chest and I started her a recipe scrapbook with recipes, photos, and personal notes from various friends and relatives. It seemed like a great gift to start her teen years and help her begin to think about her future home and she LOVED it.

Well, she recently told me she wants me to make her a quilt for her hope chest. Uh, no. I'm NOT a quilter. Then my dangerous friend Kay got wind of it and assured me I could do it and she would help.

So I caved.

We've been looking at patterns and fabrics and it's all just overwhelming to me. So yesterday I ordered this online:



It's a kit that has all the coordinating fabrics you will need to make a simple quilt. I'm not sure what pattern the kit uses, but it almost doesn't matter (because I have a secret weapon: Kay!). Alyssa just wants a quilt and she loves these colors. I may embroider a verse or something to go in the quilt. We'll have to look at it once it gets here and see how that could fit into the overall design.

I will just do the quilt top and have someone else do the actual quilting. My goal is to get this done for Alyssa's 16th birthday, which gives me a little over a year to get it done. We'll see how it goes. It may be more like a graduation present... from college! :)

3 comments:

boo4baby said...

Kay is going to teach me to quilt, too! I am sooooo excited! I also have a family cookbook that we have laid aside for the girls of the family. My sister, Rene', and I made it several years ago, but kept copies for each of the younger girls. Now I just keep adding things on my computer that I want to add to the book. Isn't it fun to have girls?!

boo4baby said...

By the way, I LOVE your color choices!

Jennifer said...

Yes, it really is fun to have girls. :) I am excited about the quilt, but a little nervous about it, too. It seems like such a big project! And I liked those colors, too. Trendy but I think it will still look nice in years to come.

Alyssa's cookbook is really more like a scrapbook. I have a picture of the person, a recipe, and some of them wrote a short note to her. Each person is on their own page and she really loves it. I intended to add a couple of pages to it each year, but I haven't been good about doing that. Maybe this year... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...