Thursday, October 29, 2009

Quilt Crazy

I apologize for not updating my blog much lately. I have been all wrapped up in QUILTS... literally and figuratively! :) Many of you know that I am tackling my first quilt project ever for Alyssa (with much encouragement and guidance from Kay). When I started this project, I was very intimidated, but I have to say that it was MUCH easier than I thought. If you can sew a straight line, you can make a quilt top! I was hoping to have it done for her 16th birthday (November, 2010), but I am very excited to say that the top is already finished (a year ahead of my schedule)! Here is a picture of the top:


The backing is the same fabric as the border. Don't look too closely at the picture because there are a few places where the blocks don't exactly match up. It bugged me at first, but I've decided it gives it character, right? :)

Now all I have to do is embroider her name and date on the back and get it quilted! For those of you who may be thinking of doing a project like this, here's how the timing broke down for me:

  • Cutting the fabric pieces - 2 hours
  • Sewing the pieces into blocks - 4 hours
  • Sewing the blocks together - 2 hours
  • Cutting and sewing the border and backing - 1 1/2 hours
  • Quilting - unknown
  • Binding - unknown


In other quilting news, this Saturday we will be having our annual bee. This year, though, the Children's Hospital didn't need Christmas stockings, so we will be making quilt tops for the Craft Hope project. Kay was a big help in this venture, too. She donated much of the fabric and helped me figure out a pattern that would be easy for the girls to make. The fabric is all cut and ready to go (see picture below). I can't wait to see them all finished! I'll be sure to post pictures after the bee.


Ta ta for now!

    5 comments:

    Kay said...

    You are so organized! I love the little quilt packets. Why can't I be more like you. Maybe when I grow up?

    Jennifer said...

    Kay - You're one to talk! I got the idea of the packets from you when you sent that bread cloth packet home with me. Besides, Ziplock bags always make you look more organized, even if you aren't. Ha ha! :)

    Baroness Insomniac said...

    I LOVE the quilt top!! Did they give a name for that particular pattern? The fabrics are lovely and I know she's going to just love it. =D

    Jennifer said...

    The pattern is called "Rail Fence." I just Googled it and there are lots of variations on the pattern. My blocks had 4 fabrics in each square and I alternated the orientation to give it the "stair step" look.

    boo4baby said...

    Looks great, girl! I can't wait to start mine.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...