Monday, October 12, 2009

Recipe: Spicy Chicken Soup

I found this recipe last week and decided to try it. It turned out really yummy and was so easy! Even though the title says "spicy," both my kids agreedd it wasn't very spicy so I think it's a very kid-friendly. It's also a hearty enough soup that my husband liked it and he's not a big soup eater. I am putting it below with my variations and am noting things I intend to try next time. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 quart water (I may try 3 cups of water next time.)
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (The recipe called for 4 but we like our soups meaty.)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
  • 1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 2 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 cup chunky salsa
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes (I used mild RoTel)
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained
Directions:
Cook onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly browned. Combine all ingredients except corn and beans in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. After 6 hours, remove and shred chicken breasts. Add shredded chicken, corn, and beans to crock pot and cook remaining time.

Serve topped with chopped cilantro, sour cream, cheese, or crushed tortilla chips. (We used Fritos and cheese.) Recipe can be doubled and is even better the next day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...