Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thirsty

As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.

Last Sunday in our equipping hour at church, we discussed Psalm 63. As I listened to Tim’s teaching, my mind kept going back to verse 1 which says, in part “My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.” (NJKV) This concept of thirsting for God just kept coming back to me.

Water is necessary for life. We can only go a few days without water. Likewise, Jesus, the Living Water, is also necessary for life. When I am thirsty for water, I make getting a drink a priority. Do I do the same with God? Do I drop everything to run to the Word when I feel myself spiritually dry and thirsty?

I was reminded of stories I’ve heard of people lost at sea with no water. They sometimes resort to drinking salt water ... to their doom. The salt water temporarily relieves the parched feeling of thirst, but in the end it dehydrates the person faster than if they had gone without water at all. Likewise, do we reach for counterfeit refreshment instead of the pure refreshment of God’s Word when we feel spiritually dry and thirsty? In the end, these counterfeits will never satisfy.

Going without water for extended periods leaves us in a weakened physical condition. Likewise, going without prayer and Bible reading for extended periods leaves us in a weakened spiritual condition.

This verse struck a chord with me because I have felt lately as if I am living in a very dry and thirsty land. I WANT those around me to thirst after God and so often, I don’t see that desire. This was so convicting because it pointed the finger right back at me. Am I watering the dry and thirsty land I’m living in? Or am I just becoming a part of the parched landscape myself?

Lord, I confess I don’t thirst after you as I ought. Please give me an unquenchable thirst for the pure refreshment of fellowship with You through your Word and prayer. Help me to sprinkle your love to those around me so that the dry and thirsty land in which I live will be a little less parched. Amen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...