Monday, December 14, 2009

Gift Mix 2009

Last year's Mitt 'n' Mixes were so popular, I decided to use oven mitts for packaging again this year. For the last 2 years, I have been looking for a scone recipe to use as a gift mix but couldn't find any that would meet all my requirements:
  • Recipe tastes great
  • Recipient doesn't have to add any unusual ingredients
  • Recipient doesn't have to roll out dough
In April, I finally found a scone recipe that I loved (after some tweaking and much taste-testing) and that met all my requirements! The only problem was finding enough oven mitts to use. I didn't find quite enough at the after-Christmas sales, so I kept looking throughout the year. Once I decided on a scone recipe, I decided that the oven mitt didn't necessarily have to be Christmas-y. So we started looking for coffee and tea themed oven mitts to finish out our numbers. We ended up finding several of those, so everyone on our list will be getting one of these:


I am including the scone recipe here, too, for you to enjoy. Merry Christmas to all!

Very Berry Scones

Scone Mix Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit (I used a berry blend with cherries, cranberries, and blueberries)
  • 1/3 cup sugar

Glaze Mix Ingredients:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar

Recipient Will Add:
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup milk (can substitute light whipping cream or half-and-half)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp. milk

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

  2. Soften butter and mix with scone mix.

  3. Mix milk (or cream or half-and-half) and egg together and add to scone mix. Mixture will be “wet” and thick.

  4. Drop large tablespoons of batter onto cookie sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Cool before applying glaze.

  5. For glaze, mix powdered sugar (small bag) with 2 Tbsp. milk. Microwave about 30-45 seconds (until clear). Brush glaze onto scones with pastry brush. Allow glaze to get hazy and hardened.

Makes about 18 scones.


7 comments:

Gina said...

I think we're having scones for breakfast tomorrow. Can't wait! And I love that the mitt we received wasn't necessarily Christmasy. :)

Gina said...

And my son hit the enter key before I could say THANK YOU, again! :)

Jennifer said...

You're very welcome. I hope you like the scones. :)

I didn't really want to duplicate the mitts 2 years in a row, but since everyone loved them so much I decided to go with them again. I was glad to come up with a way to make it a little different, at least. Plus, you get to use the mitt year-round! :)

boo4baby said...

We are having our scones in the morning for breakfast. I love scones! Thanks again!

Krista said...

Hey, Jennifer! Just wanted to let you know that I am still following your blog...that is, when I find time to follow blogs! :) I always love your ideas. Merry Christmas!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Krista, and Merry Christmas to you and your family, too! I haven't posted much over the holidays but I hope to get back into the swing of things next week. :)

Crystal Bacon said...

The Dollar store is a very inexpensive place to pick up oven mitts in holiday themes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...