Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Progress

I have never had sewing lessons. Right before Alyssa was born, I decided I needed to learn how to sew so that I could do simple craft projects. A man I worked with sold me this beauty for $20.



In case you're wondering, that's an all-metal, 40-pound (Yes, I weighed it!), industrial-strength Kenmore. It's not fancy, but it got the job done. That sewing machine has lasted me many years and I never had a bit of trouble out of it. Recently, though, it started having problems and, quite honestly, it just wasn't worth the money to try and have it fixed.

Then I bought a cheap sewing machine at a yard sale for $5. I had to replace the door on the bobbin shaft (another $10 - What a rip off for a tiny piece of plastic!), but it still didn't work. Again, it's not worth the money to have it fixed since that sewing machine probably costs less than $100 new.

So I have been using Alyssa's sewing machine to do most of my crafty projects for the last few months. But now...

Now I feel like I have "arrived." For my birthday, Jameel wanted to get me my first "big girl" sewing machine. He wanted it to also do embroidery because he knew I'd enjoy that. Well, folks, those machines cost a LOT of money! So I searched and waited.

I found one machine I liked (retail around $370) and another one that I wanted (retail around $1000). I have good taste, folks.

Well, after a lot of searching, investigating, and waiting for a Black Friday sale PLUS a mail-in rebate (CHA-CHING!), I was able to get the one I really wanted for just $100 more than the lower model!



This baby will do so much, I am almost scared to plug it in! Almost. I haven't had time to do much more than read the book for it yet, but I'm hoping to play with it during our 2-week Christmas break. I'm sure you will be seeing some sewing and embroidery projects here in the next month or so. Maybe some of them will find their way to my Etsy shop? We'll see.

7 comments:

besnini said...

Matt encouraged Dawn to get a machine that embroidered too...it was a great investment. I am so excited for you and can't wait to see what creative, beautiful stuff you make.

Alyssa said...

She's so funny! :) We're definitely going to be making a lot of trips to Hancock's and Hobby Lobby! :)

Journey of Joy said...

I am thrilled for you! And can't wait to see the projects that come out of your talent paired with this incredible machine! I am amazed at the creativity God has given you! Have fun!

Autumn Beck said...

Hi, Jennifer! I don't know who you are but my sweet sweet husband sent me a link to your blog and I am now a follower! I have read just this post and I'm drawn in. I recently made my first skirts (for myself yesterday and my youngest daughter today)! Look forward to "meeting" you!

Autumn Beck said...

lol he just told me you commented on Challis blog. he reads it daily and clicked on your name :)

Jennifer said...

Autumn - Thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to my tiny little corner of the blogosphere! I took a peek at your blog and it looks like we have a lot in common. I look forward to "meeting" you as well. :)

Baroness Insomniac said...

Yay you!! I'm very happy you were able to get this machine and I too am eager to see what you create!! =D xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...