Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Verses for 2010

Every year I select a passage of Scripture on which to meditate throughout the year.

In 2008, I selected 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a because I felt like I really needed to work on being more loving. This past year (2009), I selected Ephesians 5:1-2 because I wanted to focus on our example and motivation for love. I started out the year reading A.W. Pink’s Attributes of God to focus my thoughts on what God is like and finished the year with J.C. Ryle’s Holiness to help me learn to become more like Him.

As I started thinking about which passage to use for 2010, I had a hard time honing in on my greatest spiritual need. I am far from where I would like to be in so many areas and I think that is reflected in the verses I chose. A couple of words that kept coming back to me, were kindness and compassion. Those two words, again, tie back to being more loving. (Somehow I’m getting the idea that this may be a life-long struggle.) With all that in mind, the verses I chose are Colossians 3:12-14 (see bookmark graphic). I chose the NAS because I liked its wording the best as it used the word “compassion.”

When Alyssa saw the bookmark I made for this verse, she commented, “Is this a catch-all kind of verse?” Yes, it really is. And, like the verses for 2008 and 2009, I could spend the rest of my life working on these areas and still not perfect any of them.

I love that this passage starts with our motivation, tells us how to respond, and ties it all together with love. Beautiful! I look forward to meditating on it more throughout the year.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I'm still pondering words to choose my "word" for 2010. On my short list: peace, kindness, gratitude, contentment and purpose And I like to have verses to go with my word - to help me cultivate whatever it is I want to focus on.

After reading your verses...kindness is standing out to me more and more because I'm *often* asking for forgiveness because I've been unkind. This passage would tie in perfectly with my word.

Jennifer said...

I kind of pick a word, too, and usually go with a verse(s) to go with that word. This year, though, I just couldn't narrow it down to one word. If I had to pick just one, though, it would probably be kindness. That one word covers a lot of ground, if you really think about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...