Friday, January 01, 2010

A Great Way to Start the New Year

Stephanie at Loft Creations decided to start the New Year with a charity project and I have decided to participate as well. This project is actually coordinated by Jackie at Canton Village Quilt Works. Her quilt guild makes and collects pillowcases for the Hole in the Wall Gang, a non-profit residential summer camp and year-round center serving children and their families coping with cancer and other serious illnesses and conditions. At the end of camp each camper takes home a pillowcase.

Their goal is to get 2,000 hand-made pillowcases by the first week of April. If you've never made a pillowcase, they are very easy. There is a tutorial here, if you want to use it, but it's not required that you use that tutorial. They do need to be pre-washed and ironed, though.

I am going to make a few from my fabric stash to send for this project. If you live nearby and want to participate with me, you can give me your pillowcases and I will mail them at the end of January. If you can't get yours done by the end of January, you can still mail them to Jackie directly (E-mail her for the contact info.). I just know myself well enough to know that I need to set a shorter deadline than April for myself!

If you plan on participating, please leave a comment or e-mail me so that I will know to check with you before I mail the pillowcases. Thanks!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you for this wonderful post and to anyone who helps out.

besnini said...

Count me in! :) I'm so glad you share these projects with us...thank you!

Jackie said...

Jennifer, Thank you so much for posting about this wonderful project for the kids! I hope to get a really big response. Happy New Year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...