Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti Relief

If you have watched any news in the last few days, you know about the devastating earthquake in Haiti. The devastation is just mind-boggling. My heart breaks as I consider the children who have lost parents. The parents who have lost children. The families who had little before and now have nothing.

I remember a tornado that ripped through my father’s neighborhood several years ago and how overwhelming that damage seemed at the time. This is orders of magnitude worse than that. They are talking about death tolls reaching 6 digits. I just can’t fathom it.

Like me, you may be wondering how you can help. I have seen many links from Facebook and other blogs to legitimate non-profit agencies that are providing relief. Sadly, I’m sure there are also some organizations that will profit from this disaster and not provide real relief to the hurting people of Haiti. We want to help but also to be good stewards of our money, so how can we wisely choose?

CNN has compiled a list of organizations that are already on the ground in Haiti and providing help. If you are considering a financial donation, these are the organizations that will be able to put your money to use the fastest. Some of these are religious organizations and some are not. I’m sure these are not the only organizations doing good work in Haiti, but I wanted to give you this link so that you can at least have a list of some of the organizations that could use your donations now.

Above all else, we need to pray for the hurting people of this land. We need to pray for the relief workers: that God would protect them from disease and help them to find and rescue those trapped in the rubble. We need to pray that God would use this tragedy to magnify His name in Haiti and around the world.

‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'(Matthew 25:40)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...