Thursday, January 21, 2010

Spontaneous Expressions

I have a particular shirt which, every time I wear it, elicits the same reaction from both my girls. Unasked, they both will tell me, “Mom, I love that shirt. It looks so good on you.

As I wore this shirt the other day, I thought about why they tell me this every time I wear it. It certainly is not because they think I don’t know they like the shirt. I don’t even think they say it to stroke my ego. It’s just an honest, spontaneous expression of their appreciation for the loveliness of the shirt and how it looks on me.

And isn’t that what prayer is supposed to be? An honest, spontaneous expression of our appreciation for the loveliness of God’s work and/or attributes and how it reflects on His character?

We don’t praise God for His works or attributes because we think He doesn’t know about them. We praise Him because we must. We just can’t hold it in. As we look upon His character and His works, our hearts simply cannot be silent.

If you haven’t praised Him lately for His lovingkindness, His goodness, His tenderness, His mercy, His sovereign control of the universe, His patience, His breathtaking work in creation, His magnificent work of salvation, or any of the other wonderful works He has done, don’t restrain your soul from praising Him another minute!

Oh, that men would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness,
And for His wonderful works to the children of men!
(Psalm 107:8)

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Such sweet girls! Love it - tj

boo4baby said...

and there is so much in our lives that we can give him praise for, right? how easily we forget!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...