Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Stuck Like Glue


Before leaving the topic of worldliness, I wanted to share a quote I read several years ago by Jeremiah Burroughs in his excellent book, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment.

Something which is glued to another cannot be taken off, but you must tear it; so it is a sign your heart is glued to the world, that when God would take you off, your heart tears.


This illustration has come to my mind many times over the years. I think it’s a profitable exercise to periodically evaluate your life and think about the things which would be the hardest for you to lose or give up. I don’t always like the answers I give to that question, but it is usually a good place to start when evaluating if I am too “glued” to the things of this world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...