Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs

In the last few months, I have become more aware of how helpful it has been to my soul to memorize Scripture over the years. One of the easiest ways (and, sometimes, the most lasting way) I have learned Scripture is through music.

Sometimes I have memorized Scripture set to music through songs we sing in corporate worship services. Sometimes it is through songs I have sung in our church choir. Sometimes it is through music I hear on Christian radio.

But, interestingly, I have noticed recently that the songs I taught my children when they were young are coming back to me as well. I had a few cassette tapes (I’m dating myself now!) that we listened to in the car that were entirely Scripture songs and those are the songs that I still “hear” in my head when I read those verses now. What a powerful tool!

I thought it would be beneficial for me to list a few of the CDs that I have used that have helped me (and, I pray, my children) memorize Scripture. Here are a few that come to my mind:

  • Steve Green’s Hide Em In Your Heart series – These are probably the most popular children’s CDs (that I’m aware of) that put Scripture to music. They are widely available at Christian book stores and online.
  • Judy Rogers’ Go To the Ant – Judy puts selected Proverbs to music in a fun, folksy style. Some of her music illustrates a Proverb rather than just singing the specific Scripture (for example, “Isabelle is a Pig”), but the illustrations are fabulous and really help kids understand the point of some of the Proverbs.
  • Truth Sings the Word – This is not a children’s CD, but the songs are very good. It’s an older CD, but the songs are still ones that ring through my head when I read these verses.

What about you? I would LOVE to hear what other recommendations you have for Scripture put to music. It can be children’s CDs/songs or adult versions. You can never be too old to sing God’s Word back to Him!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the "Hide the Word" series by Mark and Steven Altrogge (from Sovereign Grace Ministries). I believe there are about 8 CDs in all now that could be enjoyed by children or adults!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Sarah! I'll have to check those out!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...