Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Book Review: Crazy Love

The book Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan is meant to be a wake-up call to the American church. It’s a call for “passionate, whole-hearted love for God” to replace a sluggish, lukewarm faith (which Chan asserts is actually no faith at all). As you read the book, you can feel Chan’s sense of urgency and his longing for the church to respond. Although it is very easy to read, it is also packed with Scripture.

A friend showed me this book when it first came out and recommended it to me. I later saw a video clip of Francis Chan on another site and I was totally turned off. He came across in that video clip as belittling those who live a peaceable, quiet life and pushing for everyone to do something “big” for God. After reading the book, though, I can see that the video clip was taken very much out of context. Chan specifically avoids telling the reader how to respond to the truths presented. Instead, he acknowledges that God has a unique plan for each believer. Chan’s only plea is for us to examine our lives (and the “American Dream”) against what Scripture has to say. And that’s never a bad idea.

I especially appreciated the last chapter where he says, “Our God is a Creator, not a duplicator.” I can’t look at someone else’s life, duplicate what they did, and claim that I’ve done what God has called me to do. Likewise, neither can I say that if everyone doesn’t do it “my way,” then they’ve got it wrong. Everyone is uniquely gifted for the tasks that God has ordained for them. The point of the book is not to say that everyone must do so-and-so to be following God. The point is to say that if you’re not radically affected by what God has done for you, then you need to re-examine your life.

Verdict: Highly Recommended

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...