Friday, June 25, 2010

Easy to Sing, Hard to Live

There’s a song I really like and a few lines in particular of that song that really convict me every time I hear them. The song is called “Hosanna.” I first heard Christy Nockels’ version but the original is by Hillsong. (If you’re interested, you can listen to Hillsong’s version here or Christy’s version here.) The bridge goes like this:

Heal my heart and make it clean,
Open up my eyes to the things unseen,
Show me how to love like you have loved me.
Break my heart for what breaks yours.
Everything I am for Your Kingdom’s cause
As I walk from earth into eternity.


This song came to my mind as I read a blog post here yesterday about a young lady who was literally weeping because she is blessed with plenty while others are going hungry, homeless, or without basic necessities. Here is a woman whose heart is breaking as she views the suffering around her.

It brought to mind the passage in Mark 6:34, where Jesus was moved to compassion when he saw the multitudes. So He did something. He taught them.

In Mark 1:41 and Matthew 14:14, Jesus was again moved to compassion. So He did something. He healed the sick.

In Matthew 18:27, God (represented by the King in the parable of the unforgiving servant) was moved to compassion. So He did something. He showed mercy and forgave.

Are you seeing the pattern yet? Compassion moves you. It requires a response. If I truly want God to break my heart for what breaks His, I will be moved to act.

Do I really want that?

Do you?

It’s easy to sing, but hard to live out.

So now I ask… what breaks your heart?

And what will you do about it?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...