Friday, June 04, 2010

Scrapbooking Methods

I thought I would follow up this post and talk a little bit about different scrapbooking methods.

I’ve seen lots of scrapbooks and they are about as varied as the people who put them together. They come in all different sizes. Some are simple; some are elaborate and even 3-dimensional. Some are put together manually and hand-written. Some are put together digitally and professionally bound. It really doesn’t matter how you decide to make your scrapbook. Each method has some merit. Whatever works for you and makes it easier for you to create your scrapbook is what you should do.

When I started scrapbooking I did it the traditional way, but that seemed to be too cumbersome for me to keep up with all those papers, stickers, and photos. Now I do almost all of my scrapbooking digitally. I make my scrapbook pages 8.5 x 11 so that I can have them printed at a copy store (it costs about 50 cents per page) and then I put them into inexpensive 3-ring binders. Here is a photo of my binder holding our school yearbooks. Each tab represents a different school year.


The other advantage to digital scrapbooking is that once you finish a book, you can easily print more than one copy. For our school yearbooks, I upload them to viovio.com to have them bound into books. I usually print 3 copies: one for me, and one for each of my daughters. If we ever lose a copy, I can easily go out to the site and order another one.


However, if you have a bunch of old photos (non-digital) that need to be scrapbooked, you may need to do it manually. I did this recently with some old family photos my grandparents had kept in a box. It just depends on the project. If you go this route for your first scrapbook, I suggest you keep it simple:
  • Use photo corners or double-sided tape for the photos.
  • Get a package of cardstock you like in the size you need. I used solid black for my photo album with the old family photos. It doesn’t have to be fancy.
  • Get a good, acid-free pen for journaling. Don’t skip this step! Even if you don’t want to write a bunch of information, you will at least want to write the names of the people in the photos. (Silver Sharpies write well on black paper.)
Feel free to skip the decorative papers, stickers, and other embellishments. They are nice to have, but getting the photos scrapbooked and documented is more important than making it fancy.

So for all of you scrapbookers out there (and I KNOW you’re out there!), what are your best tips? Do you scrapbook digitally or by hand? Do you prefer 12x12, 8x8, or 8.5x11 pages? Do you use online photo books? (If so, please give your recommendations. I have never used those but have seen some nice ones others have ordered.) Inquiring minds want to know!

3 comments:

Gina said...

Very delayed in blog reading and commenting! I have some traditional scrapbooks that I'd like to work on finishing. I have "regular" albums for Katherine and Annie that I haven't touched...at all. I'd like to get those finished - even if it's a hybrid kind of thing. I prefer digital...I just rarely have anything printed!

I really want to take Stacy Julian's class "Library of Memories" - apparently it radicalizes how people scrapbook and think about scrapbooking...in much the same way Becky Higgins' Project Life does.

Gina said...

Oh...and I prefer 8x8. The only ones I've had printed were Shutterfly and was pleased. The Daily Digi has a great review (unbiased) of many printing companies here: http://thedailydigi.com/12-different-photobook-printer-reviews/
(that's for photobooks, not for layouts) And where do you have your layouts printed now?

I agree...you need to do a birthday party book - and include the FlipFlop party, too.

Jennifer said...

If I have an entire scrapbook to print (like my England one that I'm working on), I will print them at viovio.com because it's actually cheaper to print out a book than to pay 50 cents per page at Kinko's. If I'm just putting it in a binder, then I get them printed at Kinko's. They don't bleed all the way to the edges, but it still looks good.

I printed out the 8x8 album I did for Todd at the church and their printer is pretty good so those turned out nice as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...