Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Why Do I Scrapbook?

One of my biggest summer goals is to catch up on some scrapbooking. I used to gaze in amazement as I saw other moms with their beautiful Creative Memories albums and thought, “I could never do anything like that.

I’m just not that artistic.

I don’t have time.

It’s too expensive.

I could come up with a thousand excuses and reasons why I shouldn’t bother scrapbooking.

Then I went to an event at my church where our pastor’s wife did a session on scrapbooking. I went into this session with the mindset of, “Oh, those are really nice, but I could never do that.” But then she did something unexpected. She actually gave me a biblical reason for scrapbooking! For her, a scrapbook wasn’t just a bunch of photos or even a fun arts & crafts project. It was a journal of God’s faithfulness. She said something to the effect that we should look at scrapbooks as a ministry to our kids, preserving memories for them and family history that they might not remember when they grow up. And if I thought my photo albums were sufficient to fulfill that role, she crushed that thought, too, by stressing how important it was to journal WHY the photos were special and WHAT was happening in the picture. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but sometimes it’s helpful to have some background to put the picture in context.

I was convicted and started scrapbooking soon after that. I started with something simple: soccer. I made a page with the child’s individual soccer picture, the team photo, and a list of the team members. If I had other pictures from the season, I made additional pages for those, too, and put them into the soccer photo album. I can’t tell you how many times I have referred back to that album to remember a child’s name from a long-forgotten team!

Since then I have done quite a few other albums (and I have added each year to the original soccer one). It is sometimes humorous to look through them and see the evolution of my scrapbooking skills. I’m still learning, but I do think I’m getting a little better at it.

As I get older and my memory fails more and more often, I am more thankful for the work I’ve done. I hope someday the girls appreciate it, too. And I pray the documentation of God’s abundant blessings to us cause them (and me!) to worship Him more as we look through the pages of those scrapbooks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...