Thursday, July 22, 2010

Birthday Party Planning Tips and Resources (Part 3)

This is Part 3 in a 3-part series on planning fun and memorable birthday parties. You can click on these links to read Part 1 and Part 2.

TIP #7: BE CREATIVE WITH YOUR PARTY FAVORS

Party favors are a relatively new thing in birthday parties, I think. At least, I don’t remember ever getting (or giving) any party favors as a kid. Nevertheless, it is a fun way for guests to remember the party. A simple thing to do for most any party is to buy cellophane favor bags and put candy in them. It’s easy and inexpensive and most kids will love it.

If I do a party favor, I like to make it tailored to the theme if I can. Here are a few examples of creative favors we’ve done:
  • At Hannah’s “monkey” party, I made each girl a monkey wallet and put some banana Laffy Taffy in the bags with them.
  • When we did an Amazing Race party a few years ago, I made each girl a t-shirt and then sent out a DVD with the party footage on it with the thank you cards in lieu of a goody bag.
  • At Alyssa’s “Scrabble Scramble” party, I gave each girl a wooden letter (their first initial) with their name on it. If you’re a painter, you could paint the names on the letters. I’m NOT a painter, so we used rub-off letters. It was a fitting favor for a party based on letters.
Oriental Trading has some really fun and inexpensive items that you could use for party favors. Sometimes just wandering around your local craft store can spark some ideas, too.

TIP #8: TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS

On party day, things can get hectic. You are trying to organize the chaos and herd children from one activity to the next. In all the busyness, one thing that may get forgotten is picture-taking. Don’t let that happen! Use older siblings or other helpers to make sure you get photos of your party. Your kids will thank you for it later and you will be glad to have it as well.

TIP #9: KEEP THE MEMORIES ALIVE

Here’s a tip I’m just now learning the hard way. As soon as possible after the party, scrapbook about it or journal about it or blog about it. Birthday parties are special memories for our kids and it is so fun for them to “relive” those memories through scrapbooks later.

As I have been going through my old photos, I’m finding out just how poor of a job I’ve done in this area. I have done pretty well since I’ve had this blog, and even a few years before that I have pretty good pictures that are already sorted and labeled. But before I had a digital camera, the information is spotty at best. Don’t make the same mistake I did! It’s much harder to piece the memories together years later than it is to sit down and do it a few weeks after the party. You'll be glad you did it.

I hope this has series been helpful to some of you. I would love to know YOUR tips and resources for parties. If you have other sources of ideas, please share them in the comments.

3 comments:

Krista said...

Thanks, Jennifer, for taking the time to tell us how you party plan. I love to have fun birthday parties as well. I look forward to many, many more parties for my little ones. Your tips will be a great resource for me.

Baroness Insomniac said...

Thank you for the Tips and Resources. Hopefully once back home I can surprise the Mister and spoil my grandbabies with some super fun themed parties. =))

Jennifer said...

Here are some more themes and party ideas from Tip Junkie: http://www.tipjunkie.com/category/birthday-parties/.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...