Saturday, July 31, 2010

Curriculum for 2010-2011

Since next week is the first week of August, our school year will be starting on Monday. (Can somebody please tell me where my summer went?!) For the homeschool moms out there that read my blog, I thought it might be helpful to share our curriculum plans for the year. So, here goes...

Alyssa will be in 10th grade this year. We are starting to really work on her list of potential colleges. She will not have to take the Iowa test this year, but she will be taking the PSAT in October for practice. Here are the courses she will be taking this year:
  • 20th Century World History (Sonlight Core 300) - We skipped the Core 200 course because it didn't seem that interesting to us. She has already taken a full world history course in previous years with Sonlight, so this course just focuses in on the 20th century. Some of the books she'll be reading look really interesting. I am hoping to get to read some of them myself!
  • Literature (Sonlight Core 300) - Literature that goes along with the history curriculum
  • Chemistry (Apologia) - We don't really love Apologia's tests, so a good friend of mine gave me her modified tests for this course. I am hoping it makes it a little less tedious for Alyssa. She will be doing the labs at Homeschool Academy this year, which is nice because I don't have to buy all that equipment. :)
  • Algebra 2 (Bob Jones)
  • Art - She is taking an art class at Homeschool Academy to fulfill the art requirement.
  • Spanish 3 - She is taking Spanish at the Homeschool Co-Op again this year.
  • P.E. (Soccer) - She doesn't really need another P.E. credit, but she wanted to play soccer again, so I'm counting it.
  • Bible/Theology - I am giving her a credit each year for this because she gets so much from youth group and the Scripture memory program (We're memorizing Colossians this year!). She also has Bible time in the morning where she reads Scripture and/or some other (spiritually helpful) book. This year I am going to have her reading some worldview materials, but we won't go through a formal worldview class.

She will also continue to volunteer at our local library and is looking for a part-time job. That should keep her busy!

Hannah is in 7th grade this year and is going into youth. Here are the courses she will be taking:

  • Pre-Algebra (Teaching Textbooks) - We decided to try something a little different this year with math. I wanted something she could work on more independently, so I had her try out Teaching Texbooks online. She liked it, so we're going to give it a try.
  • Earth Science (Bob Jones) - I had a hard time picking out Hannah's science curriculum this year. I don't think she's ready for Apologia yet, so I thought I'd try something else. Most of the other 7th grade science courses had a section on insects (which she REALLY didn't want to do), so I decided to try Bob Jones' 8th grade science. Again, we'll see how it goes.
  • World History (Part 1)/Literature (Sonlight Core 6) - I read some of these books with Alyssa when she went through World History, so I'm hoping Hannah enjoys them as much as we did.
  • Writing - We won't be doing any formal grammar study this year, but I will have her write one page of something every day. It can be a poem, a journal entry, a story, or whatever she wants. I will proof-read it to make sure she doesn't get rusty on her grammar or writing skills.
  • P.E. (Soccer)
  • Bible - Since Hannah is in youth now, she will also be memorizing Colossians with us. She also has a personal devotional book that she reads each day.
I make my own plan books each year and spiral-bind them. This year I made them half-sheet size. The lesson plans for the whole year are in there, broken down by 9-week grading period, as well as pages for grades and books read. The weekly plan pages are set up so that the girls can write in what lessons they have done and there is space for me to check their work each day. Alyssa was already using this format because she has worked independently for a while. I'm hoping Hannah can begin to work more independently this year, although I know she will still need some help and guidance from me in a few subjects.

How about you? Is there a specific course or curriculum you're using this year that you're really excited about? How about an extra-curricular activity that you have planned that is fun or unique? I'd love to hear about it!

16 comments:

boo4baby said...

I am excited about using Sonlight for the first time this year! It's our 10th year of homeschooling and when I tossed out a question about history, EVERY SINGLE MOM replied that Sonlight was their favorite. I got it in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to dig into it. Summer has been busy for us so I am not ready, but we aren't starting until we get Luke into ASU. I have MUCH to do, but I enjoy the planning part of it all. I would love to see your plan book!

Jennifer said...

Ooh, Becky, I'm excited for you! :) Which Sonlight course are you doing?

I've used Sonlight with Alyssa for several years and we really like it. I have read a lot of the books and have enjoyed almost all of them. Hannah isn't as much of a reader so she doesn't love it as much as we do, but I still think the literature approach is a great way to learn. Even Hannah has reluctantly admitted she enjoyed some of the books. :)

I'll try to remember to bring one of my plan books to church tomorrow for you to look at.

My Family My Forever said...

I enjoyed reading your curriculums because we also use TT, Apologia and Soccer for PE in ours:-).

I have friends who use Sonlight and LOVE it! I have contemplated it but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Blessings to you throughout your school year!

Jessica S. said...

Thanks for sharing!! We also are doing Apologia Science and for P.E. co-op and they'll be on a soccer team too. Spanish for foreign language with A Beka this year. Happy Homeschooling!! :)

Sheri said...

I love SL and esp. the 20th Century program. We use Apologia, but I have heard a lot of good about BJs upper sciences too-we used em way back when for 1st and 2nd grade. Looks like a great line up you have going! Have fun.

Daddy's Chick's said...

Thanks for sharing you plans with all of us . . could you also share what personal devotional book Hannah is using? I also have a 7th grader and would love some new ideas. Have a blessed school year.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, ladies, for all your comments so far.

Daddy's Chicks - Hannah is currently going through a devotional book called God and Me 3. It is very simple and has a short devotion and then a few question and then a puzzle of some sort to go along with the devotion. I'm not sure what we'll use once she's finished that, but I will probably go through Girl Talk with her some time this year. Junior High seems to be a good time to do that and I think that's about the time I did it with Alyssa.

We will also read a short devotion at breakfast (or lunch, depending on how hectic the day starts out!) from the book A Young Woman After God's Own Heart: A Devotional. These are really short, but they have some good material for young girls (so far) and I'm hoping they spark some good discussions.

I hope that helps!

Robin E. said...

Oooo, another Sonlight mom. My 8th and 6th graders will be doing Core 6 this year, and I really appreciated reading your detailed description of what you have planned out for your 10th grader as high school is right next door to us now. Thank you for sharing on the blog hop.

Ali said...

Yay! Another Sonlight and Teaching Textbooks family! We absolutely love those two curriculums.

Ali

Moonbeam said...

It looks like you will all be very busy this year. Have a great time learning!

We are starting high school and I'm excited about the literature and history we'll be doing and sharing that learning with my dd.

Our Village is a Little Different said...

Hello from the blog hop. I love your choices, and your organization! I hope your school year is wonderful.

wdworkman said...

Your year looks great! I have a 7th grader this year too (& a 12th grader at Community College).

Janet W

Hannah said...

This will be our first year using Sonlight, so it has been great to read about other moms like you who have used it before. Thanks for sharing your school plan. :)

Stephanie aka The Stark Raving Bibliophile said...

You have a beautiful blog! Enjoy your school year.

http://laughingstars.net

Jennifer said...

Daddy's Chicks (and anyone else who is interested) - I guess I spoke too soon about the devotional book for my 12-year-old. On the first day of school she informed me that that book was 'too easy' and she wanted something else.

I forgot that I had also ordered the International Children's Bible Field Guide, so I am having her start with that. This book covers the entire Bible and has lots of really nice pictures and illustrations. There are 36 "lessons" with 5 "think about and do" questions at the end of each lesson. Since a school year is 36 weeks, I'm having her read one lesson per week and do one of the "think about and do" questions per school day.

Lesa and Samuel said...

Hi, We also have a 10th grade daughter. She will be doing Sonlight Core 300 and TT Geometry, abeka chemistry (at a co-op), High school essay writing (co-op), Spanish 1 (co-op), Theater (co-op) and Vocabulary from Latin roots.

Our 8th grade daughter will be doing Mystery of History Vol. 3 and TT algebra.

Blessings!
Lesa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...