Alyssa will be in 10th grade this year. We are starting to really work on her list of potential colleges. She will not have to take the Iowa test this year, but she will be taking the PSAT in October for practice. Here are the courses she will be taking this year:
- 20th Century World History (Sonlight Core 300) - We skipped the Core 200 course because it didn't seem that interesting to us. She has already taken a full world history course in previous years with Sonlight, so this course just focuses in on the 20th century. Some of the books she'll be reading look really interesting. I am hoping to get to read some of them myself!
- Literature (Sonlight Core 300) - Literature that goes along with the history curriculum
- Chemistry (Apologia) - We don't really love Apologia's tests, so a good friend of mine gave me her modified tests for this course. I am hoping it makes it a little less tedious for Alyssa. She will be doing the labs at Homeschool Academy this year, which is nice because I don't have to buy all that equipment. :)
- Algebra 2 (Bob Jones)
- Art - She is taking an art class at Homeschool Academy to fulfill the art requirement.
- Spanish 3 - She is taking Spanish at the Homeschool Co-Op again this year.
- P.E. (Soccer) - She doesn't really need another P.E. credit, but she wanted to play soccer again, so I'm counting it.
- Bible/Theology - I am giving her a credit each year for this because she gets so much from youth group and the Scripture memory program (We're memorizing Colossians this year!). She also has Bible time in the morning where she reads Scripture and/or some other (spiritually helpful) book. This year I am going to have her reading some worldview materials, but we won't go through a formal worldview class.
She will also continue to volunteer at our local library and is looking for a part-time job. That should keep her busy!
Hannah is in 7th grade this year and is going into youth. Here are the courses she will be taking:
- Pre-Algebra (Teaching Textbooks) - We decided to try something a little different this year with math. I wanted something she could work on more independently, so I had her try out Teaching Texbooks online. She liked it, so we're going to give it a try.
- Earth Science (Bob Jones) - I had a hard time picking out Hannah's science curriculum this year. I don't think she's ready for Apologia yet, so I thought I'd try something else. Most of the other 7th grade science courses had a section on insects (which she REALLY didn't want to do), so I decided to try Bob Jones' 8th grade science. Again, we'll see how it goes.
- World History (Part 1)/Literature (Sonlight Core 6) - I read some of these books with Alyssa when she went through World History, so I'm hoping Hannah enjoys them as much as we did.
- Writing - We won't be doing any formal grammar study this year, but I will have her write one page of something every day. It can be a poem, a journal entry, a story, or whatever she wants. I will proof-read it to make sure she doesn't get rusty on her grammar or writing skills.
- P.E. (Soccer)
- Bible - Since Hannah is in youth now, she will also be memorizing Colossians with us. She also has a personal devotional book that she reads each day.
How about you? Is there a specific course or curriculum you're using this year that you're really excited about? How about an extra-curricular activity that you have planned that is fun or unique? I'd love to hear about it!