Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Contemplating Colossians 1:1-4

This week’s Scripture memory verses are Colossians 1:1-4:

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, to the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father. We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints.
(Colossians 1:1-4)

We live in an age of information overload. Out of necessity, we filter out some information and only take notice of the information we think we need to know or that is most important to us personally.

Unfortunately, I have found that I sometimes “tune out” when hearing (or reading) missionary reports about people I don’t know in places I’ve never been. It often doesn’t seem “relevant” to me. But Paul didn’t do that. He had never met these believers in the church of Colossae, yet he rejoiced in the reports he heard and prayed continually for these fellow believers.

What is wrong with my heart when I’m not stirred to prayer and thanksgiving the same way he was? If the angels in heaven rejoice when a sinner repents (Luke 15:10), shouldn’t I rejoice, too? Even if I’ve never met the person, that’s one more person giving God the worship He deserves. That’s one more worshiper I will spend eternity with!

Perhaps the problem lies in my “filter.” I allow in some of the unnecessary information that doesn’t edify and filter out some of the information that would stir my heart to rejoice and praise God like Paul did. Like the angels do.

God, please give me wisdom to spend my time and energy in the ways that will bring You the most glory. Help me to filter out any useless activity that distracts me from worshiping and praising You. Give me a thankful heart that loves what You love. Amen.

3 comments:

besnini said...

It is so interesting how people can be working on the same scripture and get totally different things from it. The first thing that stuck out to me was "by the will of God." It made me think about Paul's conversion...He was intent on destroying the church and everything associated with it, when God intervened. It certainly wasn't Paul's will that he be saved!

The second thing that struck me were the phrases "...from God OUR father." and "...God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ," OUR father AND the father of our Lord Jesus Christ. We truely are brothers/sisters of Christ. I know that but I love reading the confirmation of it :)

See you tomorrow :)

Jennifer said...

Those are great thoughts, Kathie! I think it's kind of amazing that there is so much we can get from a simple greeting. It makes me excited about the rest of the book! :)

Baroness Insomniac said...

"Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Who is in the presence of the angels? I believe this is God's joy. Just a thought. =))

I guess because my parents are missionaries, I'm always thinking of the brethren in foreign countries and the hardships they face before I think of those back home and their problems. So, I've been guilty of the opposite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...