Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hope Chest Cushions

When Alyssa turned 13 years old, we gave her a hope chest for her birthday (And by we I mean it was my idea but her daddy did all the work!). Jameel did a wonderful job on the chest and designed it so that it could be used as a bench. The only problem was that there weren't any cushions on it.

Until now.

For Alyssa's 16th birthday, I ordered some foam custom cut to fit the hope chest and made a cushion cover for it and some throw pillows to match.

This was my first experience with upholstery fabric and I have to say it wasn't pleasant. (That stuff frays so much that it practically unravels before your eyes! Ack!) With Jameel's help, though, we were able to get it done and even keep it hidden until her birthday. (That's no easy task, I assure you!)

I was pleased with the final product, though, and Alyssa was thrilled. Her hope chest has become her new favorite reading spot. And whenever she's not there, Pepper can usually be found enjoying the new padded space (which I'm sure he believes we set up just for him).

And, after all, cat approval is the highest form of praise, right?

4 comments:

Gina said...

Beautiful!!! I'm so impressed with your skills, girl!

Baroness Insomniac said...

Absolutely stunning!!

What a labour of love from both her Momma and her Daddy. =)) Lovely job on those cushions, Jennifer. xx

Kathleen said...

By way of introduction, your post came up in a search for posts about hope chests. I'm very impressed with both the chest and the cushions. I'm always afraid the end result with never be what I envision when I start out. You must be very proud of yourself. I'm also glad to hear that there are still young girls interested in preparing a hope chest. Congratulations to the whole family! If your daughter likes to read about ideas for her hope chest, I'll invite her to visit my blog at http://missabigailshopechest.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Kathleen, thank you for your kind words! I'm so glad you stopped by and I look forward to reading about your ideas on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...