Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Matryoshka Dolls

A little-known fact about me is that I have a soft spot for matryoshka dolls. You know - those cute little Russian nesting dolls. When I was in college, I worked in the Political Science office on campus. One of the professors went to Russia on vacation and brought me my first set of matryoshka dolls (picture below).


I had them sitting out for years as decorations. One day Alyssa asked to play with them and I cautiously let her. After that, both girls could frequently be found playing with them. When I went to England in 2007, I found a neat little shop in Cambridge that sold the dolls. I bought a set for each of the girls (picture below)


So when I found this tutorial a few months ago, I knew I *had* to make some of these cute dolls. It took me a while to get around to it, but I finally made one this week. Isn't she cute? I think she needs some friends, though. I'm envisioning a whole set in different sizes. Wouldn't that be fun?


I made this one as a rattle, but I probably would make the rest as plush dolls (no rattle). I also used fusible webbing that I had on hand and it's a little stiffer than I would like for a child's toy. I'm sure it'll soften up after a few washings, though. Next, maybe I'll try these...


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...