Monday, May 02, 2011

Guarantee

Build your nest in no tree here … for the Lord of the forest has condemned the whole woods to be demolished. ~ Samuel Rutherford


Last week, several tornadoes ripped through the south. This weekend, we continued to have heavy rain and severe flooding in our state. Many homes were destroyed or damaged in these storms and many people lost their lives.

In the face of this kind of loss and devastation, I think it’s natural to think about your own priorities. When we’re hunkered down in the closet during a tornado warning, what am I most concerned about? My own life or health? My husband? My children? My pets? My things?

Have you ever thought about what possessions you would miss the most if your house was destroyed? The things I think I would be the saddest about losing are the irreplaceable things: photo albums, my Bible (with all my notes in it), and my Christmas ornaments are the things that come to my mind first. When it all comes down to it, though, most people would agree that the most important thing is that their family is safe.

I recently ran across this quote in Ann Voskamp’s book, One Thousand Gifts, as she was talking about loss:


What will I lose? Health? Comfort? Hope? Eventually, I am guaranteed to lose every earthly thing I have ever possessed.

When will I lose? Today? In a few weeks? How much time have I got before the next loss?

Who will I lose? And that’s definite: I will lose every single person I have ever loved. Either abruptly or eventually. All human relationships end in loss. Am I prepared for that?
{emphasis added}


Did you catch that?

Every earthly thing.

Every single person you love.

Gone. Guaranteed.

I’ve thought about that quote a lot as I’ve talked to friends who lost their home and all their possessions in a tornado or to friends going through painful relationship issues.

Every earthly thing.

Every single person you love.

Gone. Guaranteed.

It’s easy to praise God in the good times, but it’s just as important (probably even MORE important) that we praise Him in the bad times, the storms of life. We must discipline ourselves to think like Job did in Job 1:21b:



…The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the LORD.


All God does is good, even when it doesn’t feel like it to us at the time. So, if you find yourself in a place of loss, disappointment, or sadness today, take heart. God is good and He has a good purpose for everything He does. Ann says it this way:



That which seems evil only seems so because of perspective, the way the eyes see the shadows. Above the clouds, light never stops shining.
{emphasis added}

May we all have perspective to see the light beyond the clouds today.

2 comments:

besnini said...

The last quote you have here, where you added emphasis, is so true. You know my "love" of flying, one thing I do look forward to (as much as I can) if it is cloudy is getting above the clouds. It is so pretty above the clouds, in the light. Under the clouds everything is dark and grey, including the clouds. Above the clouds everything is light and bright, including the clouds which are bright white. :) It truly is all perspective. Thanks for posting.

boo4baby said...

I'm so glad we will never lose HIM, the most important One, our Sustainer, Lover of our souls, Redeemer. That is why we live each day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...